Cariprazine effective on negative symptoms

In patients with acute schizophrenia and moderate/severe negative symptoms, cariprazine was associated with significantly greater improvement in negative symptoms compared with placebo and aripiprazole, warranting further exploration of the efficacy of cariprazine on negative symptoms.

54.3% of the patients in the 1.5-3mg dose group had a reduction in negative symptoms of 20% or more, and 69.7% in the 4.5-6mg dose group had a 20% or greater reduction in negative symptoms. The cariprazine was more effective than placebo and the active comparitors, aripriprazole and risperidone.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/30172595

4 Likes

Still not impressed … we need somthing solid…!!! Haha just saying cariprazine is okay …!!! Still not available here…!!! Thanks @twinklestars

1 Like

So aripiprazole don’t work?

They didn’t see an effect on negative symptoms in this study with aripiprazole.

If almost 70% of the high dose group improving more than 20% is not “solid” I don’t know what is.

1 Like

So why I take it ? :rage:

It works on positive symptoms.

Do you mostly have negative symptoms?

Also different people are different, some people may get a benefit of negative symptoms with the aripiprazole. I have heard that anecdotally.

1 Like

My pdoc said with aripiprazole negative symptoms improve

I’ve heard that. Maybe you can print him this study if cariprazine is available to you.

1 Like

yeah its available brand name reagila

1 Like

no i think its not available

I didn’t notice any difference with mine in fact they got slightly worse my attention has been bad lately. I was even having trouble reading a lot which is abnormal for me.

I was on Vraylar for a short period of time but I did notice a significant improvement on my negative symptoms while I was on it.

They’ve recently approved it for maintenance treatment though (along with treatment of acute episodes) so some psychiatrists are trying it anyway on the strength of this evidence.

Allergan isn’t planning any more trials (so I hear) to collect additional evidence for negative symptoms, so they may not get another secondary indication for it.

They did get one for depression in bipolar disorder I think though.

2 Likes