Cannabidiol (CBD) - Cannabis-derived compound may help treat schizophrenia

This is why new research looks at the potential of a cannabis compound called cannabidiol (CBD) for treating the more challenging symptoms of schizophrenia.

The new study - published in the journal Nature - was carried out by a team of researchers from the Illawarra Health and Medical Research Institute (IHMRI) in New South Wales, Australia.

Uncovering the therapeutic potential of CBD

CBD can affect learning, memory, and attention, which suggests that the compound could help manage cognitive symptoms more effectively and with fewer side effects than widely available medication.

The researchers - led by Dr. Katrina Green from the University of Wollongong, Australia - first discovered the therapeutic value of CBD when they previously conducted a review of 27 studies.

“From this review, we found that CBD will not improve learning and memory in healthy brains, but may improve aspects of learning and memory in illnesses associated with cognitive impairment, including Alzheimer’s disease, as well as neurological and neuro-inflammatory disorders,” explains Dr. Green.

Read full story here:

More:

5 Likes

Even though I don’t smoke weed anymore, I’ve always believed it to be a magical plant. Can cure many diseases. Even if it doesn’t mean getting high off it. The cannabis plant was a gift we were given by my higher power. Such a shame it was outlawed for so many years. Even the hemp plant has great uses. Cannabis is amazing…if THC hurts you, then CBD may help you. This plant needs to be fully utilized as a medicine IMO.

I hope this will lead to better treatments soon, especially for negative symptoms. When I smoked weed, it seemed to affect my cognition negatively, but that must have been the THC or some of the other psychoactive compounds, then.

2 Likes

scroll down theres a video about the study

im almost out of cbd oil… I doubt I can snag another free bottle… it has lasted since dec though… from my personal exp without messing with the formula I see it more of an add on but I may not be dosing at the level required… but I get headaches from it if I take anywhere near what I would need… idk…still hopeful for it though…

Yeah the studies have used 200 mg of CBD oil which would cost a lot… but that’s not to say there might not be some benefit from smaller doses.

1 Like

I think people will have to differentiate between the cbd and the thc both foubd in some plants .weed contains more thc which is bad for schizophrenia and flaxseed which contains more cbd which is good for schizophrenia and very less thc i think 0.3 % and the cbd even offsets the effects of thc .

Flaxseeds contain CBD. I just bought some.

1 Like

I think the studies I’ve seen use 200mg to 300 mg of CBD. You might want to calculate how much flax seed you’d have to eat to get that amount of CBD - I suspect it would be many gallons a day of the seeds.