Can you laugh at yourself?

I just made a joke about being schizo in a group on FB. It made me wonder how many of us can poke fun at ourselves?

I feel like always being super serious about our disease is detrimental to our mental health. I think that a good dose of humor helps.

7 Likes

I can laugh at myself, but I donā€™t tell people I have SZ, so no jokes about that

3 Likes

It was always ā€œLaugh now, cry later.ā€ But yeah, I get jokes about my sz being known. I got an underhanded compliment once. ā€œYes, youā€™ve come a long way. You were a real mess.ā€ lol

1 Like

I can be pretty comedic about myself when it comes to my quirks and eccentricities. As Iā€™m sure some of you have noticed lol!

I donā€™t joke much about schizophrenia though. It just seems like such a serious side of my identity.

1 Like

I can laugh at myself about most things. But I can only laugh about my craziness with my husband. I try to hide it from everyone else

2 Likes

I can laugh at myself but I limit schizophrenia jokes to here or my family, or maybe to my therapist or psychiatrist.

1 Like

Iā€™ve always laughed at myself, but since schizophrenia Iā€™ve given up on having the last laugh.

I still laugh at my past psychotic self. I feel that I was stupid while in psychosis. Thankfully meds stopped my psychosis.

Iā€™m a millenial who does tech support. Self-deprecating jokes is how I surivive :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I accidentally started my hair on fire twice today. My son and I had a good chuckle.

1 Like

Man I hate the smell of burning hair

2 Likes

Yep pretty awful. Just another reason I should shave my head lol

1 Like

Whenever I shave my hair my head feels really light! Is cool!

1 Like

We make jokes about what I did while psychotic, me and my brothers and parents. I talk about sz with my friends but I rarely joke about it with them.

I donā€™t like talking to others about my stupid doings while having psychosisā€¦ I think Iā€™ll freak them outā€¦

All the timeā€¦

1 Like

i can laugh at myself. keeps me humble.
once my parents and bros were chatting after dinner, and my dad made a joke about if the voices were listening to us talk about where we were going.
So I pretended to go off into space as if I was checking in and said , ā€˜ā€˜yeah they said they know and its okā€™ā€™ then I winked. (I wasnt actually hearing anything)
I had them for a moment lol
so we had a good laugh.

Well yeah, to an extent, but the part where I was in solitary I canā€™t find anything funny about. I just tend to block that part of my memory off.

I do laugh about some of the funny things I did while psychotic. They were rarely dangerous, so itā€™s fair game I guess.

1 Like

I canā€¦ I did todayā€¦ tripped on ice flat on my butt

1 Like

Iā€™m Australian. Itā€™s part of our culture to laugh at oneself and self depreciating humor is common. It was fun when I lived in the states. You could have so much fun and most people just didnā€™t know how to handle it. Fond memories.

1 Like