Can you laugh at yourself?

John Nash in Beautiful Mind: ‘There’s no point in being nuts if you can’t have some fun with it.’
Works if you’re a math genius. Not so much for the average joe sz.

one of my uncles jokes was that he was so good at golf he’d skip the ball completely and hit himself with the golf clubs

1 Like

I make jokes about being a Schizo to my mother a lot because she gets annoyed with me when I call myself that.

Sometimes I use the ‘R’ word to refer to myself as well, which is pretty inappropriate, but it’s tongue in cheek

Having relief from daily pain deserves a note. Here I look out the window and see I’ve been spiteful and petty and have been by holding grudges against absent people. Catching myself, I wish I could change and feel pleasantly disconnected often. Enlightened can come from the unburdening of daily pain, so I’ve marked this day and can come back to this feeling of wellness. Daily pain and sz are awful and so is worry and holding to past negatives. Entertaining past imposters in my head sucks and fantasizinng revenge on the people they’re based on sucks. I fantasize of revenge for things I imagine they would do to me because I’m the one who would do it to them. I project my awful intents onto onto strangers… Except that I wouldn’t do these terrible things because of the existance of real world consequences. These revenge fantasies are never going to run to completion and that makes them abject wastes of time. At this time right now I’m better and wish I could stay this way and chuckle at the reflect payback time sink I’ve wasted a whole presidential term on.

tldr My hostility is ready for hostile imposters just like me. Except they are imposter projections of me onto them and it’s never going to proceed to a court case against the real people.

I can laugh at that. And in my wellness mood that was today I see where things look ridiculous.

1 Like

I agree.

If find that depression is hard to joke about, but paranoia and ADD are easier to take less seriously, at least with hindsight.

-Albert.

Some weeks after first disclosing sz to one of my closest friends we talked about it again and he said “So you do understand this makes you less than a dog” and that really warmed my heart :smiley:

Oh, I laugh at my physical disability all the time! I constantly joke about it.

I have to laugh at myself or I’d be stuck wanting to cry at everything. Or bitter. Sometimes I have days of deep depression and bitterness. It helps to laugh.

1 Like

I often did self-deprecating jokes…
But now I do so in a friendly way.
I don’t spend time agonising over that.
I do this of my own will.

(thanks linguee.fr :smiley: )

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.