Can sombody provide me with some insight?

Hi there. So I’ve been reading the board for a few weeks in the attempt to learn about the prodromal phase and what to expect. I am 19 and abused cannabis for the last year or so. This year I noticed I was very isolated (I don’t know if this is prodome or my stress with school), felt pretty numb, and recently have developed great anxiety about entering the prodromal phase. Actually I am trembeling as I write this. I made excellent grades but over this break I have realized I have developed blurred vision, and I have been hearing music in my head and sometimes past conversations. I do feel pleasure (I think) and can hold a conversation but it takes more effort now. I don’t really know what’s going on with me but I feel weird. I don’t want to self diagnose myself and haven’t talked to a professional yet because I am still unsure if these symptoms are schizophrenia based or if it is things such as cannabis withdrawal or depression along with extreme anxiety about this situation. The irony is I am pre-med and want to go into psychiatry. After reading the board, I have never been more motivated to get back to school as I want to fight for everyone who suffers from mental illness. Can anyone provide any insight on the prodromal phase and maybe give an opinion on my issue? It is 4:36 AM and I can’t sleep because I am so anxious about this situation. Every time I read about it and support my own hypothesis that I am going through the prodromal, I tremble and become nauseous. Thanks so much in advance

I had a similar experience following cannabis use in 2014. I felt anxious and coultn’t get to sleep - just an underlying anxiety that made me fear sleeping. I had to switch on the TV and watch before I could fall asleep. Eventually I developed psychosis , and I had to quit my medical career (was a medical student at the time)

From what you reported it’s possible that you are suffering from cannabis induced early psychosis - the weird feeling has been widely reported amongst those who tried cannabis and social isolation is definitely one of the features of the prodromal phase

I’m not a doctor so can’t recommend you take medication, but I definitely recommend talking through your anxieties with a medical professional

Research shows that the sooner psychosis is detected, the better the prognosis. I don’t wish that anybody has to lose their medical career/education due to lack of early prevention strategies.

2 Likes

Is there a schizophrenic in your family? When and how often do you hear voices and music?

You shouldn’t stress over possible prodromal symptoms because they are non-specific and their accuracy is not very high.
This is even truer if you haven’t been diagnosed by a psychiatrist and if you abused drugs which can mimic even schizophrenia itself.

So I think you should meet a psychiatrist and stop doing drugs. Only a pdoc can assess if there is a real risk of developing sz and contextualize these symptoms and the abuse of drugs.

5 Likes

Yes my grandmothers nephew had schizophrenia, he used cannabis heavily around 14 and 15. I hear music in my head most the time (I play drums and guitar and listen to music most of the day however) but I hear other voices I believe only when I’m about to go to bed. I have stopped for a month now and will certainly not abuse any more substances. I plan on seeing a professional in the week.

1 Like

I don’t want to scare u but sometimes it’s like it was the isolation, the what used to be casual anxiety turned into crippling anxiety, I smoked everyday for 5 years and didn’t think I’d ever get this disease. I seriously think it’s drug induced for me and that if I hadn’t smoked marijuana on top of taking my adderall every day that that mix is what ruined it for me- or atleast put me at risk. If I were u start only smoking a low Thc strain (idk if it’s legal near u) and also take Omega 3s religiously. If I took omega 3s and stopped smoking weed id probably never have this. Good luck and rock on

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.