Storge -family

1 Like

I agree with you

It’s more than just scientific

I think it’s a bit spiritual too because there’s some healing with it too

2 Likes

All of them greek words

1 Like

Love isn’t chemicals or emotions. It is a commitment to continually make choices to benefit that person day after day, and the trust that they will do the same for you. And then just, continuing with that for the rest of your life. So I guess it all boils down to whether you think we have free will or whether you think evert decision we make is purely influenced by neurotransmitters. I definitely think there is more to human behavior than just the chemicals in our brains.

4 Likes

Being in love is a chemical imbalance in the brain, just as psychosis. Of course I don’t think being in love is merely that, and loving someone even less so. And I would have a hard time relating to someone who does think about it that way, up to the point of suspecting we are not talking about the same topic. But I also have a hard time relating to those who think of psychosis merely in that way and feel perfectly happy to leave the difference unaccounted for.

3 Likes

My question to you is, why would someone live to benefit someone else day after day?

We make bonds and love those are close to us because our survival is dependent upon them. Then we have larger communities (just like there were tribes) which co-exist and one’s survival is tied to the other’s. The bottom line being that it boils down to survival, and procreation is how our genes survive.

That is a pretty grim view of things. We make bonds for more than just survival. We make bonds because we are amazed by the wonder of other people. We meet someone who dazzles us and think “wow, I would do literally anything to contribute positively to this person’s life story.” And part of it is survival. Life is easier to face with a dedicated teammate. And part of it is brain chemicals. But I can promise you it was more than just synapses that made me listen to Mr. Star talk about etymology and think “I will do whatever it takes to make sure he keeps telling me stories.”

My view is not grim, I just don’t live in a fantasy. The world is the way it is…

I doubt that others think “I would do literally anything to contribute positively to this person’s life story”. It is more like, “How can so and so person contribute positively to my life story”. Of course, the mind tricks us to believe that it is for the sake of so and so person.

I mean, there should be reciprocity. I have been in the kind of love that was not returned, and it is very draining and soul-crushing. The peraon you love should absolutely contribute positively to your life story as well. But you have the motivations backwards, as well as the reasons. Choosing to be kind to another peraon will naturally release those feel-good brain chemicals. If you choose to be extra kind to a specific person, you will naturally increase your feelings of bonding towards them. But the action comes before the feelings, at least it did in my case.

Mr. Star and I had been dating for about 6 months when I got cracked upside the head. Overnight, I went from being independent, intelligent, hard-working, and confident to a drooling mess who couldn’t read or walk, and who could barely string two words together. All he ever wanted in a partner was someone to talk with, and I couldn’t even do that. There was nothing I could have positively contributed to his life at that point, and no one thought I would ever recover. But he stood by me, cared for me, believed in me. He kept researching ways to help me. He wasnt thinking about how I could repay him. He was just thinking “oh no! My person is hurt! I need to do everything I can to help them feel better!” The end result was that I did get better, and I do now help him in a million different ways. But he would have stuck by me even if I didn’t. I know that for a fact.

And it isn’t just romantic love that works this way. Friendships form in the same manner. You meet someone, talk to them for a bit. Learn about their life and their history and their interests. And you decide to show up for them time after time, in big and small ways. And they show up for you in turn. And over time the actions you do for each other forge a bond that gets stronger and stronger, and you love each other.

See, once he fell for you, the chemical process was initiated in his brain. His brain decided that you were the person with whom he wanted to procreate. His genes had found a good match. After that, what happens are details…meaning how you consciously act at every moment has nothing to do necessarily with what is happening at a biological/chemical level. I am not saying that every action which is undertaken has to be selfish, it can be selfless too, but the underlying biological reasons remain selfish.

For instance, I might help someone in need with money. But, if you think scientifically, I liked the person, therefore I gave him money. However, the act of helping someone, whatever you call it, can be explained by the notion that what is best for the individual is what is best for the individual and the group. So, think about it this way, in this manner…My genes wanted to procreate. And, in order to procreate, the genes embedded in me to act consciously with kindness to others so as to improve my chances of survival. Nature honed kindness in me to be the benefactor of that person I gave money to in order for me to have a sense of community, a sense of goodness, which is also necessary for my survival.

Lmao we are gay and asexual. Trust me, this did not factor into anything

There are plenty of people who fall in love, who decide not to have children at all. And yet they get married. Why is that?

See, I am not a scientist, so I cannot say why gays may fall for each other. But, conventional love can be explained by an underlying biological need to procreate.

But, they choose to have sex if they married I suppose?

If they are having sex, then they are fulfilling their biological need to procreate. That doesn’t mean that they can’t consciously make the choice to not have kids.

Conventional love? What a way to tell people you have a thing against LGBT folk without saying you have a thing against LGBT specifically.

1 Like

Maybe it is time to rejecr your original hypothesis, since it doesn’t account for friendship love or for same-gender romance.

1 Like

I think you are not understanding what unconditional love means. You love someone despite their flaws. You give them love, and they give you love. Unconditional love is selfless. Conditional love involves you give love but only because you want something in return. When people do that, it makes the other person unhappy, because it is merely taking, not giving in any way.

Conventional love meant love between a man and a woman.

I am not denouncing him for being gay or saying anything against him.

You haven’t understood my point. The underlying biological need is selfish…so, you make friends in order to further your case for the genes to survive. However, how you make friends and behave with them is irrelevant. At a genetic level it is all about procreation.

1 Like