Buddhism and SZ

I’ve been looking at this… the concept of nirvana…

It’s pretty interesting and really applicable I think to dealing with delusions and inner conflicts.

There are basically three aspects to it from what I can tell. I’m sure there are more across the various permutations of the Buddhist school of thought.

You must free yourself from desire, aversion, and delusion.

Finding contentment in the self allows you to no longer need.

Finding consistency in the self allows you to feel less fear and to be less aversive.

The most important one though, voices be damned, is ridding the self of delusion. The way to do this is by not believe a damned thing beyond what nature presents to you. Let the universe spell itself out to you. You don’t need to see the future nor dwell on the past. You don’t need to uncover deeper truths. It is a physical existence, there is still room for spirituality, but if you are trying to pin down the nature of that you will only wind up lost. Live and be simple. Don’t take your positive interactions with others for granted… there’s a billion other pieces of advice that can help you live simply… too many to list here.

If you feel conflict with people, as in people in general, STOP. Everyone out there is more like you than you know. They are individuals. They are born into a series of accidents, just like you. The lesson is not generalize about their nature, allow them to be independent, respect their right to think for themselves, appreciate the diversity of the experiences you can have with different folk. There is much to learn from all of them. Much happiness to be shared. Look for individuals who treat you right…

If you want to change the world… STOP. You ain’t going to do it. You will rack your mind over the tragic state of things and waste all chance at passing peacefully through this life… there is one doctrine that applies that you can maintain. “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” Be good, do good, have respect, make wise economic decisions and share with others the insights into doing all these things.

If you fear the spirit world or God or the Devil… STOP. There have been thousands of gods and demons. Hundreds of religions and billions upon billions of people who have died under each ideology. The truth is that there is no truth, we do not know… We cannot know for certain and likely never will.

Take this physical existence as it is, overcome your aversions so you might feel free and lack anxiety and preconcern, keep your desires in check so they might not control you.

I know you all to be good folk. I’m spelling this out for myself here, but I thought I share as some of you may benefit.

It’s tough to give up on relevance, it’s tough to give up on being special, it’s tough to sit and wait and maintain simplicity and ignorance while the voice-framework breaks down. It’s tough to not be angry at this illness, but anger will only have you fixate on it… you must relax. Always try and stay relaxed. There are also a billion other frustrations that can occur with this illness…

Modern Buddhism… Mindfulness and CBT… watch the mind flow like a river, let the noise above and inside you pass without taking offense or note… Simplify your thinking to appreciate the physical world and the individuals that inhabit it. Take to simple activities that hold your mind… Board games or art or writing or even talking to good friends… and again a billion other things that can allow the mentally ill to relax in preoccupation…

Take care folks. I love you all. I’ll be around. :green_heart::v:

2 Likes

hey,

I like the Taoist approach. Have desires so you know what they are and then loose yourself of desire. It’s similar but more in line with what I expect from the universe!

The toaists gave us the Iching and other great works. I know some buddists and they are toss pots…well I’ve met them and been suitably underwhelmed…

Each to their own…it’s a worthy path of investigation the East. I suspect that schizphrenics do better in such climes…Good luck in your travels!

Rogueone.

1 Like

It is a good way to know what one wants so you may see it when it comes along. It is important though to not dwell on them when they are distant… it will leave you unfulfilled.

Thank you for the good luck wish. I’ll send it right back at you. Perfect addendum sir…

hey,

Wasn’t dissing and thanks for your reply! We all lead different paths but wisdom is certainly there for most. Shite. I’ve been the most unenlightened person ever…but I overcame that! Peace and good luck on your travels.

It’s a really good path to seek and we’ll say hello in the end maybye!

Rogueone.

1 Like

I can relate to such an attitude towards psychotic thoughts… Never really got into buddhism, but have seen such an idea in that context before. I’d probably be doing it all ‘wrong’ according to the experts, but I’ve taken up this attitude towards thoughts as a way to cope. I found it was much easier to do so when it comes to intrusive thinking, and a little more difficult towards voices for me. Which is ok, for intrusive thinking typically upsets me more. I’ve never gone all the way with this though… I employ the attitude as an instrument, but like to cherrypick from thought that what I do want to endorse. There is a worry about disappearing, in a sense, and this to some may precisely be the point of it. Here what is a useful coping technique to me seems to press into ethical matters, and I get a sense of throwing away the baby with the bathwater. But yeah I really like the emphasis on attitude that I think is around in some buddhist thought.

1 Like