Schizophrenia.com

'Born Schizophrenic': 2 Mentally Ill Children Threaten to Tear Family Apart

http://gma.yahoo.com/born-schizophrenic-2-mentally-ill-children-threaten-tear-104757985--abc-news-topstories.html

Susan and Michael Schofield have no letup in their grueling day –- 11-year-old Jani is one of the youngest children ever to be treated for schizophrenia, and now her 6-year-old brother Bodhi, though not officially diagnosed with the same disorder, has violent outbursts and self-harming behavior that suggest he might also have the disease.
“I had thought I had seen it all,” Michael Schofield, a 38-year-old part-time college professor, told ABC News. “What could possibly be worse than a young daughter in a psychiatric hospital?”
Their son has been diagnosed with severe autism and intermittent explosive disorder and has had five hospitalizations at a UCLA psychiatric facility this year, his parents said.

2 Likes

Maybe, if the family lived in Syria, it would be worse?

0 Likes

This family was on Dr. Phil a while back. It was a good episode and can be found on Youtube.

The father wrote a book titled “January First” about his daughter’s illness. My girlfriend read it and said it was good.

1 Like

Yes - they have been covered extensively in other media too:

0 Likes

I’m sure there are many similar situations in Syria that we’ll never hear about. Sadly. And treatment options are much fewer and far between.

0 Likes

Jani starts Junior High in September. I feel old. :school:

0 Likes

The thing that stood out to me was her parents are from L.A.!!!

0 Likes