Book Club. September Reads!

So we are in spring finally after a cold ( for us ) winter. Been reading my couple of chapters a night before bed and have recently got through. Beevors The battle of the Bulge. Non fiction and ww2 history. 1984, Fiction by Orwell. Found myself thinking a few different things on this re read. I guess the world has moved on a bit from when it was written but still a good warning.

Finally. I finished off Ray Bradburys The Illustrated Man. One of their collections of short stories sort of tied together about some skin illustrations. Love Bradbury and his almost naive way of writing. Itā€™s very good and an easy and interesting read.

I have Animal Farm on my kindle to read and this wed is payday so will get another couple of books. Looking for recommendations so what have yaā€™ll been reading??

12 Likes

I have lots of e-books on my kindle. My favorite genre is Scandinavian mystery novels. I got hooked after ā€œThe Girl With the Dragon Tattooā€ was published years ago.

I am currently reading an Icelandic mystery novel called ā€œThe Girl Who Diedā€ by Ragnar JĆ³nasson.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve never read that novel nor seen the movie. I may have a look for my fiction book. Do your rate the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo? Iā€™m not really a thriller/mystery reader but I need to broaden my horizons and itā€™s so easy with the digital.

2 Likes

I have seen the movie. Was pretty good. It was on Netflix

3 Likes

If you like those kinds of old school dystopian fiction novels and 20th century non fiction involving the extremes of europe then i highly recommend a non fiction book called ā€˜the gulag archipelagoā€™ (cant spell the authors name since it is russian.)
It is about first hand experience of living in soviet russia under stalin and imprisonment therein. Holy moly its blowing my mind! I know that you read antony beevors russian revolution book but i would still definitly recommend this one.
Also, go for the abridged version. Originally it was three seperate books adding up to almost two thousand pages but theyv got a shorter version thats around 450 pages for westeners to consume.

4 Likes

I think the last thing I read was the eye chart at my Optometristā€™s office.

6 Likes

I was hoping someone on here would open a thread about reading. Like @Moonbeam I read a lot o my books on regular Kindle. Want to get caught up with that I think I need a cup of coffee Just about now. Well I was reading the Book called ā€œTh Seat of the Soulā€ by Gary Zukav. I would not recommend it if Aliens and Reincarnation are triggering for you.

5 Likes

I usually read crime thrillers or some non fiction like about food or environmental issues but at the moment I cannot concentrate on any book. I keep on returning unfinished books to the libraryšŸ˜” but I have some magazines and coffee table books to look at at the moment

3 Likes

I never finished but am re-reading Violence by Slavoj Zizek. It is interesting, he mentions a lot of authors I have never read because I donā€™t read that much and never went to a university.

2 Likes

I read Dr Who the pirate planet by Douglas Adams but i couldnā€™t finish. Something triggered me about the mourners in the book. The mourners are depressed people and when you communicate with them you get suicidal ideation. That where i stop reading. When i am ready i read the book all over and finish it. Sometimes i think i am to soft-hearted but i read all the ALIEN books.

1 Like

The best book Iā€™ve ever read is The Good Earth fiction by Pearl S Buck.

2 Likes

I like memoirs. Any suggestions? I read MY FAIR JUNKIE a couple of years ago. If I type ā€œmemoirsā€ on my Kindle I get no results. I was thinking something about a concentration camp. My heart has hardened in recent years. I listened to MANā€™S SEARCH FOR MEANING, without crying.

1 Like

iā€™m reading Dr. Gribbelflotz and the Soul of Stoner in honor of Eric Flint.

he recently passed away.

2 Likes

The trilogy of novels that Steig Larsson wrote, starting with ā€œThe Girl With the Dragon Tattooā€ were really good. Unfortuately, Stieg Larsson died shortly after the third novel was written.

3 Likes

The Silk Series by Linda Chaikin. Page turner

1 Like

Iā€™m not really a reader so I canā€™t recommend but I like non fiction and biographies I used to go to the library a lot and borrow

2 Likes

Green Mansions was good. The Help was an awesome book. A Wrinkle in Time. Little Women was surprisingly good. I couldnā€™t put that book down. Youā€™re a dude though so it might not be for you.

1 Like

I read fantasy books I enjoyed stories about knights and vikings things like that
Right now Iā€™m reading a book about a bunch of mice who fight wolves but my book has been sitting on the book shelf for a couple of seasons now Iā€™m still planning on finishing the book soon because there is a viking book at the library that I want to check out

3 Likes

My favourite classic is Gulliverā€™s travels . Love that book!

2 Likes

I read Animal Farm the other month. Still havenā€™t caught up on 1984 yet, but Iā€™ll probs read it tonight in bed.

Dystopian books are so interesting.

Reading a lot of non fiction lately. Some by whacko (xD) David Icke, and also Sapiens by Noah Yuval.

Some more books by Richard Dawkins on Evolution

And another physics book by Michio Kaku.

I need to get some more fiction books downloaded too. Nightfall by Isaac Asimov is also on my reading list.

And I took such a long break from The Thing from outer Space, that I need to read it from the start again.

4 Likes