Bone marrow transplant induces schizophrenia ?!

Just found this article.
In summary:
The patient (born 1940) had a blank psychiatric history. He was retired, married and had two adult children. At the age of 67 he developed fatigue and skin ecchymoses, and he was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) and bone marrow aplasia […] In 2007 he received an allogeneic peripheral blood SCT from one of his brothers, who was the only HLA-matched family member. This brother (born 1952) had schizophrenia since early adulthood and he required treatment with multiple antipsychotic agents. No other first-degree relatives suffered from schizophrenia. […] He had complete hematologic recovery and reached full hematopoietic chimerism (>97% donor cells 4 weeks after SCT). A few weeks later he developed acute psychotic symptoms: frequent hallucinations (running commentary and threatening voices), bizarre and non-bizarre delusions, and thought broadcasting with clear consciousness. Insight and judgment were poor. He described his mood as ‘angry’, with a flat affect. When he developed suicidal and homicidal ideation, he was admitted to a psychiatric clinic. Neurological evaluation, magnetic resonance imaging and electroencephalography revealed no abnormalities. Extensive medical work-up did not reveal metabolic disorders, underlying infections and neoplasms. Results of lumbar puncture were normal, and screenings for viruses (including Herpes Simplex Virus and Human Herper Virus-6), bacteria, fungi and Lyme disease were all unremarkable. He was treated with risperidone 3 mg and citalopram 20 mg, unsuccessfully. Under the working diagnosis of delirium, all medications were discontinued and haloperidol 1 mg was administered, which was not helpful either.

Read more here:

1 Like

Some say the immune system has to do with schizophrenia

yes but reversely, what if a bone marrow transplant from a healthy donor could CURE schizophrenia ??!!!
That would be HUGE !!!

2 Likes

Immune response is indicated to be a possible cause of a psychosis spectrum disorder!

I’m glad they checked for some viruses as they don’t even bother with that if your diagnosed with SZ!

@Andrey I’m not sure about SZ but there has been some work of implanting stem cells for MS sufferers! By taking stem cells using chemo from bone marrow back into a MS patient leaving them in remission, for a unknown amount of time. There was a BBC documentary on panorama recently about it!

1 Like

leukemia and melanoma

black and white=panda
chinese YinYang

Aaaaand… here is proof !!

6 Likes

Bone marrow help cure sz …!!! Is that what are u saying… i am very intrested to know about it andrey thanks for sharing my budddy…

2 Likes

this case is far from classical schizophrenia;
Very far.
Classical schizophrenia affects you since early childhood.

Can you show us a scientific article backing your assumption?
Of course there are cases of childhood schizophrenia, but usually it starts in late adolescence/early adulthood, and the prodromal phase is usually only a couple years long.

@Andrey
In regular onset schizophrenia , classical case certain impairments in cognition and functioning are present since early childhood;
That’s certainly true in my case;
I saw it in various places;
For example, here is a study regarding cognitive problems:

2 Likes

If they can put human sz cells in mice and make them schizophrenic, it makes sense.

Bone marrow transplant is a basic kind of stem cell transplant.

This is scary stuff :astonished:

1 Like

Indeed, not for the faint of heart.
Bone marrow transplant carries its own risks and shouldn’t be done carelessly. It is a last resort for leukemia which is a potentially deadly ilness. But as science progresses, even this kind of surgery will become safer and maybe they will test it on treatment resistant sz too… then eventually on regular sz… It sounds like something worth keeping an eye on.

My mind is blown… :tada:

I found the number of the institution in which this Psychiator works. I intend to talk to him