Better options for people with treatment-resistant schizophrenia

In real-world settings, patients with schizophrenia whose symptoms do not respond to standard antipsychotic medications have better outcomes if they are switched to clozapine instead of another standard antipsychotic.

They have fewer hospitalizations, stay on the new medication longer, and are less likely to need to use additional antipsychotics. These findings were published today in the American Journal of Psychiatry.

Source:

More info on Clozapine:

3 Likes

I have treatment resistant SZ…however clozpine is not an option for me, because I have three autoimmune diseases and I take immuno - suppresant medications. I was told that Clozaril could kill me. However I do take Loxapine which chemically is the most similar drug to Clozaril without the side effects. It is the only med that has helped me at all…however I still have symptoms, regardless.

I have treatment resistant sz but can’t take clozaril - it killed my white blood cells.

Ditto. Nearly died of pneumonia, which was my fault for skipping blood tests. If you’re on Clozapine you NEED to go in for regular testing. This side-effect is rare, but can be deadly when it happens.

Pixel.

1 Like

I have friends who are on Clozapine would go for medical check-up every month for FBC (or WBC) and the likes.

In the very beginning of my research into psychosis and schizophrenia, I learned that 2/3rd of the population has limited or no success with chemical treatments. As my research progressed I found that the likely hood of full resolution of chronic psychosis was increased manifold when additional psycho-social-biological therapies were employed.

I await the day for a solid med that specifically treats negative symptoms.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be a problem for many people ie keeping up with the blood tests presuming they have got into taking the clozapine regularly in the first place. If you are treatment resistant and happen to lack insight why would you agree to take it in the first place? I guess it’s really suited to those who are treatment resistant but med compliant/insightful unless of course you are court ordered to take it (can they do that in Canada/USA?).

Clozaril didn’t work out for me. I did seem to notice an improvement in my negative symptoms though.