Schizophrenia.com

Beta blockers vs. Xanax

Beta blockers are drugs that block the effects of stress hormones norepinephrine and epinephrine (adrenaline). These hormones are what cause the physical symptoms of anxiety and blocking them reduces these effects, helping control some of the physical symptoms of anxiety.

Xanax (alprazolam) is an anti-anxiety medication in the benzodiazepine family, similar to diazepam(Valium), clonazepam (Klonopin), lorazepam (Ativan), and others. Xanax acts to enhance the effects of a neurotransmitter called gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain, reducing the stress response and helping the body relax.

I’m on a betablocker. I think it’s great. Could really tell a difference in the first year of taking it. I don’t notice much after 3 years, but it’s probably doing something.

Xanax working on the brain
May cause dependence
B blocker working on receptors on periphery blocking effects of epinepherine and ne
Both could be used to treat anxiety
Xanax is more powerful

You can’t tell if you have low anxiety? @thebest

I’ve been on it so long I really don’t notice it. It’s probably doing something. Not sure what though.

Beta blockers used to make me dizzy and faint. I cant comment on the others as never had them, but now and again ill get a low 5mg dose of diazapam for 7 days when its over whelming - but most of the time i just suffer thru the anxiety as i end up jumping thru hoops with the doctor to get any sort of benzo prescribed and thats stressful in itself.

ok good goin’

I don’t have anxiety on Seroquel.

Don’t take a beta blocker with a SNRI antidepressant and/or NSAIDS. You may experience extreme hypertension (which can lead to stroke) and anaphylactic shock.

As always, tell your pdoc about all medicines you take.