Best medication for paranoid schizophrenia

Hello,
What are the best alternatives to olanzapine for a person with paranoid schizophrenia that is currently taking , its causing weight gain drowsiness and sleepiness nerves and getting panic attacks anxiety fatigue sometimes although olanzapine has helped we think its time for a change as its been years now & can a doctor switch to new medication if requested, is Seroquel or abilify better, also wondering if anxiety panics attacks nerves trembling can come from paranoid schizophrenia

Thankyou :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Meds are just personal trial and error unfortunately. One person’s miracle med is another’s downfall.

An example is seroquel, that med nearly killed me, I went bananas on it, however other people here swear by it and think it’s great.

For what it’s worth, I’m on Abilify 15mg now and I’m stable on it.

2 Likes

There is a new olanzapine drug called lybalvi which can help not to gain weight.

If you decide to try another drug I guess trying another second generation AP is your first port of call. I would maybe read up on the different drugs, pick two or three that you find interesting, then confer with your doctor about these and take it from there.

1 Like

welcome to the forum,
i am on lurasidone (latuda) it works great for all symptoms and made me stable for a year now. and i dont have any side effect only weight hain and i take green coffee beverage to reduce my body weight and i succeeded in that. if you have problems with your medication discuss this issue with your psychiatry doctor to help you.

1 Like

Everyone is different. Got to find what works best for you. I am on Invega injection and that works for my delusions.

1 Like

I have only taken thorazine ( don’t try it), zyprexa, and risperdal. Risperdal is ok. I hope you find something that works for you

1 Like

Hi I have tried different antideppressants, I tried 20gm of paxil it didn’t work for me i had been taking it with my sleep med amatriptiline and they were not compatible, I had awful thoughts of suicide and psychosis, and the stuff that i heard in my head was very negative and scarry. I went off the paxil

There is just as many drug responses as people on the surfacen of the earth.
I have a good response to Seroquel 900 mgs and an older meds.
Personally I think that the quell take care of the residual positives without causing to much weight gain. And the Clopixol and quell calm me a lot what I mostly need.

1 Like

i think all antipsychotics cause sleepiness as they are also known as major tranquillisers. however i think aripiprazole is the one of the only ones that’s considered weight neutral. when i was given antipsychotics i was very very worried about weight gain so they gave me aripiprazole.

1 Like