BBC: Homeopathy 'could be blacklisted'

Ministers are considering whether homeopathy should be put on a blacklist of treatments GPs in England are banned from prescribing, the BBC has learned.

The controversial practice is based on the principle that “like cures like”, but critics say patients are being given useless sugar pills.

2 Likes

I kinda think that if these treatments do not work why must we all put money towards it. anyone who wants treatment like that can pay for it.

3 Likes

I don’t believe in homeopathy, but know people who do. If they want to pay for placebos be my guest, who am I to say placebos don’t work?

Deniying the existence of it however puts in a fundamentalist point of view, and I don’t like fundamentalisms. There are worse things that are widly accepted than homeopathy.

1 Like

This is a good point… but I believe (and I may be wrong here) that the research shows placebos don’t work over the longer term, so even if there is shorter to moderate term benefit ultimately its not doing anything.

I’m with Ish - I tend to think its fine if people want to waste their money on it, but I don’t think the Government should.

1 Like

the idea behind it is interesting and most medicine is based on “like cures like” i.e. that if a medicine works for a patient it will work for another similar patient most likely as well (if that is whats meant by the statement). so the idea is good but giving people sugar pills might not actually resemble the idea behind it and still get called “homeopathy”.

I agree, its not something the government should be allowing in its benifits. There are too many people profiting from others ignorance

1 Like

about time .1515151

No - I think that statement means this (from Wikipedia):

“Like cures Like” is a claim that a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people would cure similar symptoms in sick people.

source:

Hmm that doesnt make sense. What is meant by this? Like eating garlic prevents having an infection for healthy people - that sick people should also eat garlic in order to prevent getting “more sick”? Or does it mean that we should inject sick people with influenza virus shots?

Garlic is a natural antibiotic, when you’re sick eating garlic helps with fever in the common cold. Not the same thing.

Good riddance! 15

yeah absolutely. eating garlic or onions has helped me many times when you feel youre at the edge of becoming sick. i never tried to eat garlic while sick though. perhaps it also helps?

I know it does. Good for the throat too.

so this whole “homeopathy” has a core of truth behind it. since garlic helps when youre healthy to keep disease at bay and helps you to get well when youre sick.

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with homeopathy. The garlic thing is pure fitotherapy. The same thing can be achieved with ginger tea with honey. Homeopathy is different.

“Homeopaths claim that Hippocrates may have originated homeopathy around 400 BC, when he prescribed a small dose of mandrake root to treat mania, knowing it produces mania in much larger doses.[26] In the 16th century, the pioneer of pharmacology Paracelsus declared that small doses of “what makes a man ill also cures him”.[27] Samuel Hahnemann (1755–1843) gave homeopathy its name and expanded its principles in the late 18th century.”

No way. So this whole homeopathy is all about giving poison to somebody who is suffering from entoxication? (sorry for not reading the longer article 'cause i cant focus on longer sentences right now)

I think people get homeopathy and holistic mixed up.
With holistic use of garlic it would be eating garlic, or taking supplements.
With homeopathy it’s putting one drop of garlic extract in the ocean to dilute enough for their standards:
"A true homeopathic solution is one part of a substance (whatever it is – it could be duck guts) that is diluted in another 100 parts water. Then one part of that weak solution is then diluted into another 100 parts of water. Each single dilution is called 1C, so two dilutions would be called 2C, with one part of the similar diluted in 10,000 parts water. But it doesn’t stop there. Homeopathy uses >30C dilutions, which means that the dilution is simply water. At 30C, the dilution is now 1 part substance to 10^60 (or 10 followed by 60 zeroes) parts water. You would need to drink 10^34 (or 10 followed by 34 zeroes) gallons of water (which is about 10 billion times the amount of water on earth) just to get one molecule–one single molecule of the original substance. That’s just impossible."
source:

2 Likes

Homeopathy is a scam and the problem with it is that people desperate for a cure will waste precious time with it instead of getting treatment that works better.

2 Likes

drinking lots of water could be very healthy though.

1 Like