Bad reaction to Buspar but lost a bunch of weight

About a month ago my pdoc started me on Buspar to help with the anxiety that dealing with my daughter’s situation was causing. I honestly totally forgot she even started it. It just blended in with the handful of meds in my box that I get from mental health. Anyway at that time my difficulty swallowing started getting worse and worse till finally I was eating only soft food and even having difficulty with that. I was starving. I lost 18 pounds in a month.

I saw her last week and told her about my trouble and she suspected it was the Buspar and told me to discontinue immediately. Within a few days my swallowing started to improve and I could eat again. It’s been six days and I’m swallowing almost back to normal, just with the little difficulty that I had before. The last two days I’ve been eating everything in my path making up for what I missed lol.

4 Likes

I am sorry to hear that. I am on Buspar and love it. :pig::pig::pig:

1 Like

In a way it’s like an allergic reaction. It’s just for some people they will have this effect. It works well and doesn’t do this for a lot of people. It’s like Abilify gave me TD and Codeine makes me psychotic. I just get weird side effects. I’m too sensitive.

1 Like

Well I hope you find something that works. :grinning::grinning::grinning:

1 Like

I think I’ll be okay now, we got my daughter off the streets on Christmas night.

3 Likes

I’ve had trouble swallowing before for a different reason and it was scary. I’m so glad your situation has improved

1 Like

What kind of symptom is the swallowing problem you think, leafy? I have it right now but I try to get used to the food again… I am subscribed to zyprexa, but maybe it puts me quite down too, that’s why… or now I am low too in general… I’ve tried the uppering aps, they made my paranoia worse…
I have one healthy friend , who had the swallowing problem too and she was diagnosed with anxiety disorder though…

1 Like

Gotcha. That is good to hear. :lizard::lizard::lizard:

1 Like

I’m so glad you are better. :heart: @Leaf

1 Like

Thank you @CoCo

1 Like

Thank you @anon55031185

It was just a side effect of the medicine having to do with the muscle in the throat or the nrves maybe. I couldn’t get the food to move down and it was scary. I thought I was going to choke even on soup and it’s soft bits. I was also sugar free and all I was getting down was sugar free pudding and jello, yogurt, applesauce, a little soup carefully, a bite or two of other food but it would get too scary and nachos with refried bean, sour cream, salsa, and cheese sauce once the chips got soft.

Glad you got to the bottom of your swallowing issue.

1 Like

Trouble swallowing is one of the key symptoms you got to immediately go to your doctor for.

I was barely having food get caught in my mouth but my doc switched my meds immediately.

1 Like