Avolition and boredom - difference?

What’s the difference between avolition (lack of motivation) and boredom?

1 Like

I think avolition causes boredom.

2 Likes

Avolition is when you want to do stuff but can’t. It is accompanied by a feeling of powerlessness and even disgust towards everything.

Boredom is when you get tired of doing your current activity, so you start doing something else, usually more enjoyable, or simply take a rest.

With boredom you can still push yourself to do stuff. With avolition, action becomes nearly impossible.

Avolition and anhedonia (lack of pleasure) go hand in hand.

4 Likes

Avolition feels painful to me. I want to do something so bad but i feel like im stuck in quicksand.

4 Likes

I have very bad avolition. It keeps me from doing anything. I end up laying in bed all day.

3 Likes

That’s exactly how it feels. Like you are being sucked down.

2 Likes

Yes, I feel stuck in mud and heavy, powerless with no ambition in life, no interest to get job, as much as I’d like to write or proofread/edit etc

3 Likes

The avolition made me lose heart. I think boredom would be anhedonia, making me lose pleasure in activities: watching a movie, reading books, playing games, walking in the park…

2 Likes

I get bored due to avolition. It’s a constant problem, also I’m just bored/jaded of most things, cannabis oil helps a lot…

I think boredom is related to anhedonia. Lack of enjoyment

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. There is a huge difference between Avolition and boredom IMO. Avolition is a lack of motivation and boredom is more a lack of interest. I would say as @LevelJ1 said, it is more closely related to Anhedonia.

4 Likes

@Bowens yes that explains it well. Thanks! I have both.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.