Schizophrenia.com

Autism and psychosis/sz

Anyone with both? I’m one

I am too. It took moving to be near my stepdaughter,and coming under a different pdoc etc, to get the dx.

2 Likes

Both. SZ diagnosis first and the Asperger’s diagnosis followed it because of my doctor discovering I had synesthesia. (I “see” music and sound.) The only accommodation I required at work was having half of the light bulbs in my office removed to make the light level barely tolerable for me (also very sensitive to light).

1 Like

I am schizophrenic, as well as having Asperger’s. I have also been diagnosed with PTSD, major depressive disorder, and dissociation

There’s the cocktail I drink everyday :joy:

2 Likes

This is basically me too. I don’t believe dissociation is a labeled disorder, but mine is so bad, I was told to get a medic alert bracelet with it labeled on it.

Although I do wonder if autism (originally diagnosed as Aspergers and mixed receptive expressive language disorder, but folded into Autism when the labels changed) was always schizophrenia though.

1 Like

I feel like I might have aspergers although I’ve never bothered with the assessment.

1 Like

My nephew has Asperger’s, but he is not schizophrenic. As far as I understand it, Asperger’s is a mild form of autism

1 Like

My son has asperger’s. I’m pretty spectrumy but not diagnosed. I do have adhd though.

1 Like

i got sz and ASD… so me too

1 Like

I have Paranoid Schizophrenia, ASD and anxiety and depression

Sucks, but there are people worse off than me.

The cocktail of meds I am on seem to make things bearable, but sometimes I do get myself in a muddle with mood and things like that

2 Likes

I’ve had psychosis multiple times and I think I’m autistic.

2 Likes

I was given a diagnosis of Asperger’s 13 years ago, I am not neurotypical and have problems with social communication and interaction. My Diagnosis changed in 2017 to Social Anxiety and Avoidant Personality Disorder. I have been on antipsychotics for 15 years which help with psychotic symptoms. I lost all my disability money in 2019 when I had my PIP assessment.

I see I didn’t word my message clearly…I meant maybe my autism was always schizophrenia. The neuropsychologist diagnosing me (as an adult) told me she was wavering back and forth between the two diagnoses. I wasn’t aware of my delusions at the time, hadn’t hallucinated in awhile, but tested as having a schyzotypal personality, and had all the “negative symptoms” — which also characterized Aspergers. I do not think I ever had Aspergers, but rather either classic autism (I spoke late and there are many other differences between me and those diagnosed with Aspergers, but not with the autism label) or just schizophrenia.

2 Likes

I gotcha now. It sounds like a bit of a tangled mess to sort out

What do you find brings you relief? Meds,… Or?

Aspergers diagnosis before psychotic disorder here as well.

There’s a paper that says that those preonset with high iq of sz (often associated with AS) recover better in terms of symptoms and have the best chance; but they also can have levels of bipolarity —- I feel it points towards myself as an example; I may not be great at using my intellect academically, but socially or verbally rather, I do pretty well compared to the average person.

A psychiatrist once outright said I was above average intelligence and it was only after he told me that did I reflect on my meeting w him and realise maybe Aspergers is real and that maybe I do have a decent level of intellect when not in psychosis.

Haldol and headphones

1 Like

I never hallucinated which may be the autism protecting me, but I have problems with auditory stuff like I thought I had auditory processing disorder before. I also think it made me smarter and I unfortunately tried with minimal success of rationalizing and trying to logically understand and cure my delusions/schizophrenia. I failed.

Autism makes me drink the energy drinks I think. I’ve always needed certainty. I’m horrible with routine but routine helps me. I don’t really like routine anymore.

There’s a think called imprinted brain theory and autism is like the opposite of schizophrenia. Not sure how I got both but I technically got Aspergers + schizoaffective depressive type. I was so depressed early on and mainly am crippled due to cognitive decline and negative symptoms. It happened after day 1 pretty much. Even before the schizophrenia hit I had cognitive decline like I felt I was having dementia or a stroke at 22/23 because I couldn’t remember or think properly. My grades went from Bs to Cs over night in hard subjects.

1 Like

I got severe dissociation. It went away. I had a natural ability to dissociate my whole life which was probably from verbal abuse growing up, but it was something I could control and turn on and off. Like tuning out.

Then in 2011 I got Dp/dr and panic attacks and acute stress disorder. Not sure from what. Maybe some severe trauma like somethng happened to me in college. I really don’t know or want to know. But I think now it was some mib/alien encounter but don’t really know. I could have been in mk-ultra, which people don’t care, understand, or believe, and even though it’s been a documented fact people still say it’s a conspiracy theory. I’m actually so sick of it that I just laugh or ignore these people now.

1 Like

My psych doc wants me to be tested for autism. Because they think I’ve got signs of it but I’m not sure I actually have it

1 Like

I think i had dp,dr more than autism.