At what point do I say I want to quit trying to work?

When everyone around me is encouraging me to keep going. My partner even says he doesn’t think I will be comfortable not working. I agree with him. I need to feel I am working and it gives me an incentive to get out of the house. But at what cost? It is causing me intense anxiety that can be avoided if I got the right support. If I got more disability, I think I would still work but reduced hours. I am already working only 25 hours.

4 Likes

When I got this job, my relatives have consistently been asking my mum if I have quit cos they know I will.

1 Like

I quit working at age 26 and it has been very hard. I don’t feel it’s fair though, if I truly cannot work why suffer the lack of productivity and structure? But alas I did suffer until I got to my fifties and learned how to better occupy myself and do without the structure. It has truly been difficult as though I paid my way. Now I’ve got to make myself useful, for everything I have was given to me!

1 Like

I’ve been doing fine just working 16 1/2 per week for the last 9 years. One job I had in the nineties I worked just three hours a day for two days a week. I did that for 3 years.
Like you said, it got me out of the house and gave me some pocket money.

2 Likes

I wish I could live out of disability as I have stress concentrating on any job. I am comfortable reading books and solving puzzles and walking and cycling. Except that I need to work really hard for learning a skill.

3 Likes

I gave up work and got on disability because I get paranoid when stressed and it was just too painful. I did have a great job in a bookstore when I was overseas but that was with a lot of support. You don’t get that everytime and I had to realise it wasn’t so bad on disability. I still lead a rich and realised life.

What got me through a lot of years was volunteering. I had a good opportunity to learn about turf cricket wickets and it suited my lifestyle. I think that is the compromise I made. I still got mentally involved with something but it was so low stressed…that is the issue with me. Stress makes me paranoid.

So all’s I’m saying is keep open your options and find something you like or can tolerate…or move sideways onto disability and do art…it’s perfectly valid in my world.

4 Likes

Do you take anything for anxiety? I find when i take a medication for anxiety, i can manage my daily stressors much better.

Ive also been reading about negstive thinking and performing self therapy on trying to be positive and resilient.

1 Like

Does this help? Its about how you need to control your feelings and let logical thoughts win over your anxieties. Itsnever as bad as it feels.

1 Like

I am currently going to work by finding a job through an office that helps those with disabilities.
Is there an office like that in the uk maybe they can help?
This is what i found:
Resources for individuals - Vocational Rehabilitation Association UK Resources for individuals - Vocational Rehabilitation Association UK

Maybe you can find a dream job for 20 hours a week and take disability.

2 Likes

I’m not allowed to take antidepressants, and benzos are addicting. The anxiety is ALWAYS there… I just want to switch it off but the only time I can switch off is when I am home. I have had therapy, and I’m not sure it has worked , maybe it has in someway that I am not aware of. I think like @77nick77 I need to reduce my hours to something more manageable.

2 Likes

Im at this point too.

1 Like

It’s tough when you want it to work so badly but you’re falling apart trying to make it happen. I don’t care what anyone says anymore … once I get the assessment done I’m going for the enhanced disability and lower hours if im able to.

3 Likes

@Milly you can always go on disability and Volunteer

Seems like you are like most of us and can’t handle too much stress

2 Likes

I can’t but my mental health team took this long to say I need this assessment why did it have to take them 38 years I’ve been telling them something is wrong with me since I was 13.

1 Like

I can say one thing, when after several hospitalizations i was urged by my social worker to go on disability, it was a severe feeling of defeat. I am still unsure if I should have turned my disability down and instead asked for a 10-20 hours job. Disability is not the end of the rainbow, lots of stigmatization and social problems. I hope you find your balance.

3 Likes

My psychiatrist pushed me to work til I early 40s. I didn’t know about disability but I told him I couldn’t work through out my 30s but he kept me going. But after seeing how my symptoms were not getting better at work, he finally suggested I go on disability. Since then it’s been a long road to work on self care, unreversible physical health problems and fix parts of my life I neglected. Working was a nightmare and constant paranoia for me. Now a lot of my persistent persecutory delusions are more manageable. But everyday is still work but now I get to work on myself.

2 Likes

We’ve posted a lot about how Lion’s mane can help drastically with anxiety. You should buy some and try it, stick with it through an entire bottle.

3 Likes

Lions Mane 2000mg 180 Capsules High Strength Mushroom Extract https://amzn.eu/d/gHsKZkI

I’ll buy some. Thank you.

1 Like

You’re welcome

I saw results fast. Hopefully you will, too.

2 Likes

I hear you, its a great motivator to get out of the house, but the intense overthinking anxiety kind of ruins it. In my opinion it seems like working part time in supported employment would do wonders. I’m currently working with an agency that helps people that live with disabilities find work and advocate for them.

1 Like