Are you married? Girlfriend?

Ask for a mate and you’ll get one. I thought about starting a foreign languages club years ago. Great place to meet others with similar interests

My cousin who likes to hike met his wife at a hiking club

My problem is I asked for a mate and got the wrong one :point_up:

2 Likes

Are there places where sca can meet up (other than a hospital)? :grinning: maybe meet some people like me.

1 Like

I’ve had three girlfriends since I was diagnosed, but only one was a long term relationship. Another was pretty much a drinking partner. I wanted a girlfriend who was as big a drunk as me, but that is over with now. The other one would try to put me into awkward situations where I was defending her. One time she thought Walmart had charged her for a two liter bottle of coke that she didn’t buy. She expected me to go running into Walmart yelling, “You ripped off my girlfriend! You ripped off my girlfriend!” That would not have worked. Maybe I should have gone inside Walmart and acted like I had confronted them with their ripping off of my girlfriend. It would have made her happier. As it was, she looked at my response as pretty pud.

I very recently had an informal, civil union ceremony between me and a friend. She was manic at the time. Now, she claims that she doesn’t want to be married. I gave the ring she gave me back to her. No big deal. I really didn’t want to be married anyway.
Now, I’m back to my former status of single and celibate once more. And I’m happy this way.

1 Like

I have been married for almost 26 years but I was normal when we got married and most of that time. I have been sick for 10 years. My wife is an alcoholic though she has never left me. I am a good provider though. I get her everything she needs and pay all the bills. She hasn’t worked out entire marriage.

The Department of Defense thinks I am doing well to maintain a relationship and says I am only 70% disabled where the VA says I am 100%

Been married 9 years and together 15 years. She has sz too so it makes for some interesting arguments lol.

2 Likes

How did you meet?

Volunteered together at local mental health agency… Started dating about a year after we both left.

I stoped dating over 30 years ago, just no good at relationships

2 Likes

I’m married, and my husband and I are in the process of becoming foster parents! I told him I was schizophrenic on our third date, and he said he didn’t know what that meant. I gave a brief explanation of some of my symptoms, and told him managing my symptoms was my own responsibility, not his. I’ve mostly kept that deal. He loves and supports me, and I love and support him, but we don’t act as therapists for each other. If my psychosis flares up, I go to the doctor and change my meds. There was a brief time when I couldn’t drive, and he had to take me to appointments, but I still made sure to pull my weight in the relationship by doing the housework and making meals.

I spent a long time alone prior to meeting him. I needed time to learn how to be a good partner, instead of codependent. I’m glad I took that time to learn what a healthy relationship is.

4 Likes

I’ve always known I would never get married. But I met someone who changed my mind 7 years ago. We live in bliss.

2 Likes

Never married and no significant other. And I’m lonely as hell.

1 Like

so @Leaf you’ve found your sun flower? Your lily in the valley? lol jk bad puns.

How did you two meet?

1 Like

He was a customer at the little shop I worked in. I thought he was special because he could barely talk. It turns out he was just nervous to talk to me because he liked me. I finally caught on but wasn’t interested. Then one day he brought me a rose after me having a bad day from finding out a close friend had passed away from cancer in the night. That changed my mind and I gave him a chance. Well he was so nice I fell in love. Two years later one night I was booking a hotel in Reno online and he asked what I was doing and I said “I’m going to Reno to get married would you like to come?” He was pretty excited to say yes. We were married the next day.

4 Likes

not married, no girlfriend either…am 42 and still qa virgin…thats life…but i was on a date once when i was 18…it was a date that id rather forget…i was tongue tied

3 Likes

I am divorced and have been separated for over a year and a half, I dated sometime over half a year ago for my last date. I am currently trying to meet someone using Bumble, Tinder, and Match… I am having a hard time finding someone who lives close who doesn’t have kids. I am lonely but am pretty selective about who I would date. I will be 29 next month.

My diagnosis came up on the first date with my wife. Wasnt a biggie I guess.

I’m married, and I was diagnosed during my marriage. I showed signs of instability early on in our relationship though. He has always been very supportive, and I am incredibly lucky and thankful for that. He is quite an incredible man.

There are people- good, worthwhile, compassionate people- out there that will love you no matter what disease you have once they learn that you are a person worthy of love. Just let them get to know you. Like others have suggested, I wouldn’t tell them about your MI right away and would instead give them the opportunity to get to know you without letting that cloud their judgement. Share it once you’ve developed a bond with them and can trust them with that kind of heavy information. Getting to know each other that well and developing that kind of trust takes a little bit of time.

1 Like

Im single and have been since before i started hearing voices. I dont see any change coming soon as well :joy: my bro would be like “u need a girl in your life” when i was smoking weed in my room with the music playing all the time :joy: i be like “nah hit weed two or three times i got my hand its good” now i dont even have that really since the meds robbed me of sexual appetite :joy: all hail invega… i guess hahah

1 Like

I was single shortly before the symptoms started and have been since. I can’t imagine dating with this illness. I feel like I wasted my twenties not trying to settle down. If I had known I was going to get sick I would have made getting married a priority.