Are you married? Girlfriend?

I am very, very happy that I married young (18 yrs, 4 months, 12 days). I already had a child, was helping to pay bills at home, and had a steady job, so I was more responsible than the average teen. I prayed really hard for the right man to come along, and he did. He’s more than I deserve. I never wanted to be alone, never imagined myself single, so it worked out really well for me.

2 Likes

It’s not really my psychosis that obstructs my ability to have romantic relationships as it is with my problems with splitting, jealousy, and low self-worth. But somehow I’ve gotten into two relationships, with the second one being my current relationship. He doesn’t always understand my problems but he tries his best to help me and make sure that I’m happy. He loves me for who I am and he makes me so happy. I can’t imagine being without him but admittedly I’m scared of getting married; the good news is that I don’t have to worry about it since I’m younger.

Marriage scares me because of the chance of being divorced. I hate the idea of being betrayed while in a committed position with someone else and their view of you changes drastically.

I married the first guy I ever dated more than twice, because he asked me, within 5 months of meeting him.
and it lasted 25 years.
I was Dx’d at the 10 year mark, mainly because of all the mind games that were being played (both at work and home that had intensified for certain new intrests that came up- and I got sick of playing these games- quite literally.
But the label Sz stuck, and the games shifted goals, and one day I found the straw that broke the camels back, so we split up.

Met and married my 2nd husband the same year my divorce was final, and have been married for 5 years now- our anniversary was this month.
I never had to tell him I was Sz, and he never asked either, which makes me wonder why he would still stick around?

Neither spouses had ever been in the mental health system, as in been to a pdoc or Dx’d, but it’s pretty obvious to me that they’re wearing something odd under their otherwise ‘normal’ skin, or they both wouldn’t still be in my life,

My ex and I are have remained friends- we’re better friends now than when we were married to each other, and each of our spouses get along with eath other as well.
It’s really nice.

Complicated?
Maybe,
but do we care?
Nope,
because it all works out well for each of us.
We willingly help each other out when needed with no hard feelings or problems,
like my husband and I helped move my ex’s current spouse’s household into my ex’s current home and stuff like that.
Are we normal?
probably not.
But why be normal?

I never had a girlfriend, never dated, or anything. Maybe it has something to do with Aspergers. I just get nervous around women. I also think rationally sometimes and figure I’m better off financially and career-wise alone. I also have high standards so you know how that goes…no luck here. I’m currently obese and have poor hygiene, no job, and no education. I wasn’t like this before the illness. The illness just happened one night and I’ve never been the same.

I’ve dated but never got a girlfriend because I was too shy or unconfident, now I feel pretty confident and would like to date some girls, the problem is now I’m fat FML :cry:

not there yet in life, but it is not a final destination

Never been married and I have no girlfriend. Not sure if I want one either. Sometimes I feel it would be nice to have a gf, but I have a lot of stuff I’m working on for myself. Like my own mental health for example.

:v:

2 Likes

Hope springs… :disappointed_relieved:

Did it mess with your mental status nowadays?I let my girlfriend go when I got ill.

No I’m fine now.

I have a girlfriend ,my first after being diagnosed. I told her a month into the relationship that I have sz. She took it well and it did not affect our relationship. We together now for 6 months.

3 Likes

For those who told their partner they were sz. How did you do it? Was it like sit down I need to tell you something? Or how did you tell them?

I got married before I got sick. When I got diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia they made a big deal about it. They called my wife in to the meeting and there were two psychiatrists, a physicians assistant and two psych nurses in there so my wife found out the same time I did.

I had no idea what schizophrenia was though so they were talking Greek to me. I was inpatient at an Army hospital. One of the psychiatrists said if I didn’t like that diagnosis they could change it to PTSD but I didn’t say anything because I didn’t know what they were talking about but now I wish I would have taken her up on that but I would still need my antipsychotics so it wouldn’t have made much difference to me.

Maybe you could take your prospective partner to therapy with you and get help in explaining how it affects you.

Ya I wish I was in a relationship before my diagnosis. Looking for someone now is a little harder.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.