APA on Nature & Nurture of Sz

According to the American Psychiatric Association Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Patients with Schizophrenia. Second Edition.,

“[m]ore than 80% of patients with schizophrenia have parents who do not have the disorder. However, the risk of having schizophrenia is greater in persons whose parents have the disorder; the lifetime risk is 13% for a child with one parent with schizophrenia and 35%–40% for a child with two affected parents.

“[p]atients with an early onset of schizophrenia were more likely to have a history of birth complications than those with later onsets.

“[o]ther risk factors have been associated with an increased risk for schizophrenia. They include single marital status, a lower socioeconomic class, being raised in an urban environment, environmental stress, and advanced paternal age.

[s]ubstance use has been associated with precipitation of symptoms of schizophrenia. The mean age at onset of schizophrenia as well as the age at first admission was lower in patients who had a history of substance use and higher in patients without such a history.

“[t]win studies have found a concordance rate among monozygotic twins of about 50%, compared to 9% for dizygotic twins and siblings.”

American Psychiatric Association. Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Patients with Schizophrenia. Second Edition. http://psychiatryonline.org/guidelines. Accessed March 3, 2015.

My family involves manic behavior one side and depression on the other my son currently exhibits some likings my daughter not. My son had brain surgery to correct fluid that’s my main concern.

I have many of the risk factors of genetic inherited bipolar or schizophrenia. My mom has the illness and became worse in mid life. I was born in winter and my mom drank a lot of milk but maybe too much? I was a healthy child and born with a clean bill of health. I don’t have an std or any allergies. I have Charcot Marie tooth 1A which is chronic nerve tissue and myelin degeneration and I think this is a link to the mental illness. I think Cmt also affects nerve axons in the brain and that my brain lacks protective coating around the nerve axioms that causes neurological distress, loss of brain matter over time, and the nerves being under fire cannot protect you from a type of stress. My moms Charcot Marie tooth is more severe and so is her mental psychosis. Science has not yet found a link nor came out to say CMT impacts the brain not just the legs and arms but the entire biology of the person. Why? When after studying a Harvard and Stanford class I learned that MYELINE is on the nerve coatings in the brain! We have MYELINE in the brain and coating the outside of our nerves. In fact MYELINE is at the root of this illness they want to call schizophrenia.

I have come to this conclusion on my own. Now let’s wait for medical science to catch up to the reality!

1 Like