Anyone love Ru Paul’s Drag Race?

Only two. The others transitioned after they were in the show. But I would say they still count.

1 Like

It’s not just terminology. Drag queens are not trans women. It is a part of gay culture. They are traditionally, and still mostly, gay men who don’t identify as trans, but who dress up as women to perform.

I don’t want to be offended, but I don’t like that you call this distinction terminology. It is culture and identity.

3 Likes

I think most people are confused about drag queens to be honest. Once you watch the show, it makes more sense.

3 Likes

Yes, because it’s been a pretty much exclusive part of gay culture for almost as long as it has existed. I understand that it is confusing. But it’s also personally very significant to me. They are pretty much our ambassadors. They are a cornerstone in our culture.

2 Likes

I love RuPaul.

Successful businessman,

Excellent entertainer and a better looking woman than I.

He has my respect.

2 Likes

There’s also a lot of anger directed towards femme gay men in the gay community. We need to be more supportive and inclusive towards them. It’s much harder to be a femme guy than a masc guy.

1 Like

It is unintentional but it’s still ignorance though,
It sounds discriminatory,
And it’s good to find things out

1 Like

It’s called “drag” because female clothing would drag on the floor (only men and boys were allowed to play roles in 19th century British theater). There are also drag kings.

I consider myself an amateur historian of LGBTQ history (1945-2015).

I’ve met RuPaul Charles (and many other LGBTQ people who made significant contributions to the community).

“quarter for a slice”

3 Likes

I have a cousin who was a drag king.

She was in a documentary about drag kings and played in a movie as a man.

2 Likes

Have you seen the documentary Paris is Burning?

2 Likes

It’s a really good movie.

I saw it when I was pretty young.

2 Likes

Have you seen Pose? It’s not a documentary but it’s a great series about the ballroom scene.

3 Likes

I met Pepper LaBeija (House of LaBeija) at the NYC Gay Pride Parade in 1989 (I’m bisexual).

1 Like

I haven’t seen Pose. I’ll have to check it out.

2 Likes

It’s amazing. And very emotional.

2 Likes

Where is it set? What country?

1 Like

US, NYC ballroom scene, 1980s/90s.

2 Likes

I was in NYC at that time. Maybe I’m losing my memory–I’ll be 57 in a few weeks.

2 Likes

Pose was awesome !

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever cried as much as I did watching that show.

2 Likes