Anyone get akathisia on Abilify?

I’m starting a 300mg dose injection tomorrow. I’m scared I might get akathisia from it.
Is 300 considered high dose?

Everyone is different. I tried oral form and it was bad first day but disappeared rather quickly. You just have to try it and see and it’s more important to worry about symptom control than side effects early.

2 Likes

Abilify didn’t give me akathisia. I had akathisia on Latuda but psy prescribed Benzatropine and akathisia went away. I am trying Risperdal now and psy said to only take Benzatropine if there is akathisia, so far none.

2 Likes

I was on 20mg and got it really bad. Felt like I was living in purgatory. Felt like I was anxious and had to do something all the time, but I couldn’t focus on anything. I told my pdoc (resident) and they wanted to raise the dose haha. I ended up switching to latuda after 3 weeks of abilify. Latuda isn’t perfect but it was way better than Abilify. Some people do very well on it though.

2 Likes

What’s your Latuda dosage?
Side effects are different for every individual. Abilify didn’t give me any akathisia and I was on 25mg pills. I have been on Latuda for a year. It gave me akathisia, very bad at 120mg, bad at 80mg. Psy prescribed Bebzatropine to stop the akathisia and it worked.

Now I am in the process of switching to Risperdal 3mg to stop the akathisia and hopefully to slightly improve negative and cognitive symptoms.

2 Likes

I was on 80mg for around 2 years i think. I’d get akathasia after i took it, so i’d wait and take it with some food before I went to bed. I’d usually wake up feeling good though. Last year I started getting sleep problems where I’d only be able to sleep for 3 hours a night, which would end up in a half day anxiety attack usually. My pdoc’s suck and won’t give me a PRN other than vistral, so I switched back to perphenazine. Its an older ap but the negatives aren’t as bad as the atypicals I’ve been on.

2 Likes

Weird, usually typical antipsychotics have more side effects like akathisia than atypicals. I guess it really depends on individuals. As for negative symptoms, risperdal is best for me from the 4-5 APs I tried. I couldn’t find the pharmacology and mechanism of action of perphenazine on wikipedia, most other APs have them.

I think negative symptoms are caused by strong blockade of dopamine by meds but this also stops psychosis. I see no way of getting rid of negative symptoms.

2 Likes

i think that’s the generic name. look up trilifon for the name brand. from the atypicals i’ve been on risperdal, seroquel and latuda were the best. I couldn’t tolerate abilify or geodon though.

1 Like

I just tried it a short period.
I woke up early in the morning or couldnt sleep at all. I was alert on it though on the day. Its also given for depression.
I dont remember more. Hope it works for you.

were you on pills or the injection?

1 Like

I was on the pills

1 Like

I had a bad reaction to abilify, not sure what dose because I was in a bad way in the psych ward. It made me have worse psychosis. But I think the med that caused my akathisia was Halidol a very heavy med. I had a really bad time, I got to the point I couldn’t dress myself, wash my hair, I even fell down from just standing in place once. And I got the shakes so bad in my legs at night I couldn’t sleep. Scariest thing I ever lived through. I am forever thankful we figured out what was causing it and it wasn’t permanent. ( The nurse at the nurse line I was trying to reach my psychiatrist at wasn’t giving him my messages, it was horrible. I figured it out with my boyfriend at the time and friends.)

1 Like

I’m on abilify oral 10 mg, and i have got this permanently restlessness, i can’t rad anymore, because i’m to distracted, but i haven’t got the movement disorder that google says is typical for akathisia.

I don’t know whether i have got it or it’s just the way i am at the moment?

Akathisia is a movement disorder characterized by a feeling of inner restlessness and inability to stay still.[1][4] Usually, the legs are most prominently affected.[2

1 Like

do you still have akathisia? if not, how and why did it go away?

1 Like

I had to stop taking the medication that caused it. I recommend doing so under a doctor’s supervision, but in my case I couldn’t get through to my doctor. I’m not sure how much time it took to go away, I know it wasn’t instant. It did go away completely though. I was very fortunate. This was…around 15years ago. I’ve found that through trial and error you can get on the right combination of meds for you and live a fairly normal life. It took many years, and getting over stubbornness and fear to get hear, but I haven’t gotten sick enough to be hospitalized for 7years now taking my meds everyday. I’m very grateful and hopeful I can keep well.

1 Like

thank you for the reply

1 Like