Anyone else here with both sz and ptsd?

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts they’d like to share about how the two Illnesses go along with each other. I have ptsd from sexual abuse/rape as well as institutional abuse that I went through from the ages of 14-15. I’ve found it extremely difficult to deal with both disorders when I’m having active symptoms of both.

4 Likes

Yes. I have schizophrenia and PTSD.

If one doesn’t already have PTSD leading into schizophrenia, the experiences of schizophrenia itself are pretty traumatizing.

4 Likes

Yes I have sz and then PTSD from my time in the military. :fish::fish::fish:

I have schizophrenia and some undefined type of anxiety which is possibly PTSD. I do take a drug for flashbacks, and past traumas are a big part of my psychosis including now the psychosis itself.

I have sza with bipolar. PTSD. Generalized anxiety disorder with agoraphobia.

Sometimes, I’ll have a flashback that triggers anxiety and a psychotic episode. I’m not sure what you’re asking. Did that help?

i have schiz , ptsd from childhood sexual assault and bpd

I have sza bipolar type and PTSD for early childhood sexual abuse. It’s terrifying to live with flashbacks and psychosis at the same time. Never could I be more vulnerable and the pain is unbearable. There’s many times I would have rather taken my own life than to have lived like that. But somehow I made it through some dark times and with therapy and medication I now enjoy a flashback and psychosis free life. Everything changed for me when my abuser died. It felt over, and I was finally able to put it down and start healing. I’ve been flashback and nightmare free for awhile now and with meds I have very little psychosis. If I could say one thing to help other people it would be don’t minimize what you are going through, take it seriously and get yourself as much love and support and help as you can because what you’re going through is real and just because it’s invisible doesn’t mean it’s not there. And never give up, there are better days coming, I promise.

1 Like

me with both as well. ptsd’s and Sz

Yes. Some form of ptsd from a childhood sexual trauma. Been in therapy for two years now. When the flashbacks hit me hard I tend to dissociate and then the next day my mood goes down in the dumps. I’m getting better though. And I didn’t even recall the rape until I was in my mid thirties. I certainly believe in amnesia now. The brain can be really good about blocking out horrible experiences.

1 Like

Skunk,

I would have nightmares, but I only vaguely remembered the traumas. My Mom, per my therapist, taught me how to disassociate at a very young age.

I think it would have been better to take care of MH issues as they happened, but I probably wouldn’t have been as successful in college and work as I was.

Today, there are so many flashbacks that I sometimes lose count. I’m glad my brain learned how to survive, but it’s difficult to have emotionally close relationships, for me.

What’s the most important lesson you’ve learned about dealing with PTSD? Thank you.

1 Like

Hi Trish. I believe the most important lesson I learned is to forgive. I don’t forgive for the benefit of the perpetrator but for my own well-being.

:grinning:

1 Like

Forgiveness is what I want. However, I’m having trouble with simply remembering what happened. I have forgiven one person. Thank you for the feedback.

1 Like

hi @Hanna_Foxx.

I have complex-PTSD. The kind that is caused by chronic, childhood trauma by the primary care giver thoughout the developmental years. The brain develops badly - as such I also have schizophrenia (according to my pdoc the abuse brought out this gene expression form a young age) and Borderline Personality Disorder.

I have psychotic symptoms…all…the…time. Awake during the day and at night having nightmares. I have no ability to regulate my emotions. I can’t relate to anybody or form healthy attachments. It’s a horror story every day and my anti-psychotics only do a little, they lower my terror to high anxiety. That’s about it.

I can’t form a healthy attachment to any therapist (they fire me or scream abuse at me so I fire them), so I’m un-treatable in therapy. I rely on meds only for any symptom relief.

I hope you’re more treatable than me.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.