Anyone being treated with anti depressant?

Is anoynoe being treated with anti depressants? I’m going to try Prozac. I don’t know if I have negative symptoms of psychosis or depression. No motivation find it difficult to wash myself and clothes. Spend most of time in bed.

2 Likes

I’m depressed but I don’t want to take more meds.

2 Likes

I take two antidepressants, Wellbutrin XL and Cymbalta. The combo, along with my mood stabilizer, does a pretty good job for me. The Cymbalta also helps with my chronic back pain, just an added bonus.

What were you like before you took them?

I was suicidal. I’ve been suicidal on and off since starting Wellbutrin in 2000, but hopefully this new combo will prevent that from being a serious problem for me again. Cymbalta is a new med for me, started just a couple months ago.

could you function?

Yeah, I was able to function.

I take Wellbutrin. It helps get me out of bed in the morning, but I still have negative symptoms. I would say it helps a little, but not enough that I don’t still struggle.

2 Likes

I’m on Celexa. I don’t get depressed. I go beyond that and straight to suicidal every time. I haven’t been depressed or suicidal in many years.

I’m on Celexa as well. I’ve been on four other anti-depressants ( Prozac, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, and Effexor XR) Celexa was working okay for a little while ( 2 months), but now I’m suicidal again. My psychiatrist suggested I go see my therapist and i did. It helped a little, but I’m still suicidal.On my next visit (November 7th), I’m going to ask him to start me on Pristiq and add Rexulti.

I’m on amitriptyline at 100mg, the only down is massive dry mouth, the psych prescribed it after I explained that strange things happen when I’ve been on SSRI and SNRI’s but I will not state what the problem is here but it was enough to convince the doctor a tricyclic was the best way forward, it’s effective but I could take more, there is more room for improvement but 100mg is the best taking it all into account.

If you can manage with the anticholinergic dry mouth it has been shown to still be the most effective antidepressants on the market and it’s very cheap to supply compared to other options.

A major problem with amitriptyline is that not following specific instructions and in overdose it’s more lethal compared to SSRI’s.

The dry mouth is terrible but it gets better after brushing teeth in the morning, I feel the dry mouth is going to be the main factor that people will not tolerate amitriptyline, if you are depressed though even severe dry mouth may be a better alternative to that depression as I feel it has tangible effects that are dose dependant.

So I’m less depressed now after quite a few months on amitriptyline and am relatively happy with the results, I can recommend it as an alternative to SSRI’s but amitriptyline is a hardcore solution and being in the mood for self-harm or suicide is something which will disqualify you from its use.

My depression is controlled with only 10 mg of Lexapro and 100 mg of Lamictal. It’s the sz side of my sza that is the bigger problem.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.