Any Schizophrenia Medication that doesn't Cause Drowsiness? Please help!

I’m on Abilify 250 mg shot each month and it keeps away my Schizophrenia but my only problem is that it makes me really tired all the time. Is there any medication out there that I can take for schizophrenia (instead of Abilify) that doesn’t have drowsiness as a side effect?

2 Likes

The drowsiness may go away in time. But ironically abilify is supposed to be activating and not sedating.

I’m on abilify and take my pill at 6pm and notice I get tired really soon after taking it. But I think it’s getting less tiring as my body adjusts to the new time of 6pm. (I used to take it when I woke up)

3 Likes

My drowsiness will never go away in time. I have been on it for 8 years and still suffer with extreme tiredness. For example, today I didn’t wake up until 1:30 pm.

3 Likes

If that’s the case,

You may need to switch medications.

1 Like

Are you tired during the day? Or are you just concerned about how much you’re sleeping ?

1 Like

I know, but I don’t know which medication would be better than Abilify. My doctor told me Abilify has the least side effects of the anti-psychotics.

1 Like

Both. I sleep too much and when I am awake, I’m constantly fighting drowsiness.

2 Likes

You could ask to try rexulti, it seems to be a little more energizing. I still get sedated because I also take saphris with it. But not as bad as when I take saphris alone.

I wanted to mention that sleeping too much in and of itself can make you feel drowsy for the rest of the day so it might not be all the medicine’s fault.

2 Likes

Thanks, does rexulti have drowsiness listed as a side effect for it?

2 Likes

I’m on abilify too and I would not consider a switch even with its side effects I’m too scared of the risks!!

Eeek

1 Like

I just looked it up. Rexulti also has drowsiness listed as a side effect for it.

1 Like

yes it does have drowsiness listed as a side effect

1 Like

So, are you saying Rexulti makes you less drowsy than Abilify does? If so, how do you know?

1 Like

abilify didn’t make me very tired when I took it. But I only took it for 2 months. I had to stop taking it because it gave me tardive dyskenisia. I just know that the rexulti counteracts some of the sleepiness from the saphris that I take twice a day. The dose I take at night knocks me clean out. The dose I take in the morning with rexulti I can usually stay awake and still function somewhat normally without too much drowsiness.

Of course it depends on your body chemistry. But it might be worth a try becuase rexulti and abilify are cousins and if you’re stable on abilify you might have some luck on rexulti and who knows it might be less sedating for you. 8 years is a long time to suffer with side effects. I hope you find some relief soon. Good luck.

1 Like

I’m on fluphenazine…generic for prolixin. love it…no side effects.

1 Like

I’m tempted to switch to Prolixin based on your “no side effects,” comment, however I just looked up Prolixin side effects and drowsiness is one of the side effects for Prolixin too.

2 Likes

I like meds that cause drowsiness. Both risperidone, ziprasidone and quetiapine cause delicious drowsiness that lull me to sleep every night and every morning, as needed. I love them all. Without them, I probably wouldn’t get any sleep at all.

2 Likes

Can you please tell me your gender, age, and weight, so I have an idea if I too might also have zero side effects if I get on Prolixin like you?

1 Like

I find amisulpride doesn’t cause drowsiness

1 Like

@K777 I am 57, male, and I weigh about 210. I don’t get drowsy on prolixin.