Antipsychotics and exercise

When I started taking Geodon I noticed I didn’t have the endurance I used to have and couldn’t run as fast or as far. Did anyone else experience this or perhaps I just started taking it when my performance naturally declined.

2 Likes

Antipsychotics are also basically strong tranquilizers - they slow your body down.
Even though, I am taking meds, including antipsychotics, I still am managing to walk on the treadmill for like 15 minutes a day - just to keep moving a bit.
It is still possible to exercise while taking these meds, but you really ought to pace yourself more and take it pretty easy with it.
I mean you don’t have to run the marathon everyday - do what you can

1 Like

Yeah, I used to workout like I was possessed and then I got on Geodon and now I have to take preworkout.

1 Like

try to keep it low stress, physical stress on the body during exercise can provoke symptoms, the brain is also exercised and put under stress. Low stress on the heart and in moderation if possible. Stress(including physical stress on the body/brain) can be be similar to anxiety working you overtime.

If your on antipsychotics, you want to try and keep it relaxed and low stimulation most of the time. This will hopefully help in slowing down your body/brain.

1 Like

Good to know that others also feel this. I remember quitting my meds for a while and I was astonished by how easily I could run. I was also lighter during that period of time, but still.

1 Like

If I did not exercise I would probably be 300lbs and diabetic right now - I disagree with Peter’s advice.

Yes definately excercise, especially while on meds.

That would suck if a person got on meds for a mental condition then developed another.

maybe depression or low self esteem AND a physical problem like diabetes.

As a result of the medication.

2 Likes

It happened to me, doesnt mean it will happen to you. Just be aware of side effects

1 Like

I think that medication is great if it is improving the quality of your life.

But if it isn’t you gotta find a different dosage or combo whatever.

I went on two 1.5 mile walks today. I feel better about myself.

1 Like

That’s way cool I’m drinking some green tea for energy to work out.

Every person should exercise, meds or no. Helps with so many aspects of a person’s health. I get mine in when I can.

Hi I also noticed that after I was put on the antipsychotic aripiprazole that All of a sudden I just couldn’t run the way I could before which was a real bummer cos I loved daily jogging. I do wonder if it’s the actual illness psychosis or the medication. It really sucks though I’m proper depressed about it