Anhedonia and Invega

Hi,
Has anyone experienced anhedonia on Invega?

1 Like

I have no experience in this. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. :monkey::monkey::monkey:

Thank you! :grinning:

All antipsychotics cause anhedonia. Abilify causes the least for me and according to my pdr.
Its not only anhedonia, its all negative symptoms which also includes apathy, avolition, self-neglect, alogia, asociality.

The problem is that I am even less functional without meds.

Thank you for your input. Do you take a long acting injection?

1 Like

No I am on Risperdal 3mg, this week I am adding 5mg Abilify. Injection is better if you forget to take your meds or if you’re not med compliant.

I think overall the injection is better.

Invega cause me to feel anhedonia, and I sleep a lot too.

Thanks for sharing! The anhedonia is really rough going, do you think trying a different med is worth it?

1 Like

Did you try Abilify? If you want to try it start by small doses and watchout for addiction issues because some ppl get addictions to gambling, sex, eating etc from it. The secret is to find a balance between effectiveness and side effects.

I had side effects at 25mg but had much less negative symptoms like anhedonia. Now I am taking 3mg Risperdal and will add 5mg Abilify this week. If Abilify alone gives you side effects, try taking a smaller dose with another antipsychotic.

If you’re already on a working med then just add 5mg Abilify or 10mg if you don’t have side effects and your anhedonia didn’t improve with 5mg.

Welcome on board @Hope7, hope you enjoy your stay.

Yeah most AP’s cause Anhedonia and Avolition.
Schizophrenia and Schizoaffective, depression can also cause these.

I’m going to bring this up to my pdoc because I can no longer live like this.

What symptoms are you having?

Lack of motivation, zapped energy, lack of pleasure - no joy

I’m on Invega Sustenna and I have anhedonia. I’m also on Zyprexa.

Abilify shouldn’t cause hypersexuality. Antipsychotics increases a hormone call prolactin which can cause sexual dysfunction,loss in arousal.

Can’t put links here but you can google up on the side effects

Abilify can cause addictions to gambling, sex, shopping and eating my psy said that also in some ppl, there is over 2600 lawsuit vs Abilify as of June 2019:

“…trouble controlling certain urges (such as gambling, sex, eating or shopping),…”

Abilify can make you impulsive:

"The researchers identified 710 events indicating impulse control disorders with dopamine receptor agonist drugs. Gambling was the most frequent behavior reported — followed by hypersexuality, compulsive shopping and poriomania, which is an impulsive tendency to wander away.
Our findings confirm and extend the evidence that dopamine receptor agonist drugs are associated with these specific impulse control disorders,”