Amino Acid - L-Lysine - New Treatment for Schizophrenia - Has it Helped You?

Hi - how much lysine are you taking each day?

Are you taking it consistently (i.e. almost every day) or do you sometimes take it and sometimes not?

You neednā€™t inquire about my lysine intake, thus is discovered individually. Hence I take lysine along with exercise spaced throughout the day. No debate. Consistently everyday, or never. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

i think szadmin just wants to know if you followed a protocol at 6 grams daily for atleast a month

3 Likes

i will go out and get this, I will try for the next month and report back

oct 16th is day 1 for - 6 grams a day

I am not going to really pay attention to how i am feeling until it has been atleast 4 weeks

1 Like

Great intiative levelJ1 :slight_smile:

I think Iā€™ve been taking lysine for a total of 1 year and 5 months. I take a gram of lysine a day, 500 mg in the morning and 500 mg in the evening. I canā€™t take more because it causes nausea, with half a gram dose at once itā€™s mild but still there. I used to take 2 grams without any nausea but one day I think I wasnā€™t sure if I had taken it already and might have taken double the dose, a few days after that I started getting nausea so bad on the 2 grams a day that I sometimes threw up the pills. It causes me to have diarrhea also(both are common with it). I donā€™t see how 6 grams wonā€™t cause bad diarrhea and nausea if I get it from only 1 grams, but I guess people are different.

I first wanted to try it because somebody on this forums reported a synergistic effect with Sarcosine and Lysine, I was already taking Sarcosine. At first it didnā€™t do anything for me and I thought about quitting it but read about people (no scientific basis to this) reporting less hair loss with it, I have a problem with hair loss so I decided to try it. It did seem to stop my hair loss, maybe not completely but it I didnā€™t notice my hairline going worse after that. The effects must have come gradually but I do feel a lot better mentally than before I started taking it, no effect on the positive symptoms but negatives are better.

2 Likes

L-lysine as adjunctive treatment in patients with schizophrenia:
Results from a proof-of-concept study

2 Likes

Iā€™ve taken 7g/ day for another condition (side effects of methotrexate) for the last 5 years. I donā€™t feel psychologically different when I donā€™t take it, although it does really help the horrible mouth sores I get.

1 Like

checked put the prices and worked out it would cost me about 25 pounds a month to take 6 grams a day. gonna give the abilify a go first and if it doesnā€™t work, try the l-lysine and niacin combo along with an aspirin a day. I will try it for three months and see how it works. but have to give the abilify a go first up to 30mgs. am currently on 5mgs, going up to ten mgs in two weeks time. on that for a month, then 15mgs for a month and so on, till I reach 30mgs and weā€™ll see if it does anything for my positives :slight_smile:

1 Like

well i took it for a couple weeks and i noticed 0 improvement , im not sure if it would help or not as i didnt follow it for 4 weeks.

Tell us more - how much did you take, did you take it every day pretty much? Did it affect you in any way - positive or negative? What happened when you stopped taking it?

Thanks!

i may have missed 1 day or 2, but every day 6 grams per day. i honestly didnt notice anything , after stopping it was the same as when i started. so for myself I atleast know that in the first 2 weeks of taking there seems to have been no known improvement

OK - thanks.

Obviously this is just a sample of 1 person so far. I hope other people try it and report in here.

1 Like

well to the best of my knowledge in every kind of alternate medicine herbs /vitamins or anything else takes time .and the time generally is in months and for some in years but it is kind of more permanent .the minimum is around 2-3 weeks if you are very lucky

1 Like

That is true. But the preliminary trial showed improvements in 2-3 weeks so I was just going on the basis of the trial

Iā€™ve been taking the 6 grams of Lysine shortly for a little over 1 month, I started shortly after this was first posted. It has not helped me much, of course there has also been so weaning me off of Geodon going on the past two weeks and that certainly isnā€™t helping anything. Other than the past two weeks there really wasnā€™t much change in my negative or positive symptoms. The only real difference was about a week after I took it my urine started to smell and it is bright yellow. The doctor told me I am taking too much and body is peeing it out. I have no infections or anything, just my body peeing out the Lysine because Iā€™m on too much. She suggested I keep taking it, but cut back to 4 grams. I have done that starting today. I should know if the lower dose is doing anything in a few weeks. Will post again at that time.

1 Like

THanks for the update. Please keep us informed going forward.

Obviously its best to know if its working on not if you are stable and keeping the same dose of medications and not changing anything else in terms of treatments.

There is truth to this if combined w/exercise. The protagonist is exercise in this situation, and with the combination of L-Lysine the two will help w/any type of brain functioning.

I came across this article, however they tried a cocktail of amino acids:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3791409.stm

I still havenā€™t tried it yet!

L-lysine is a Herpes treatment. They were trying to say schizophrenia is associated with having a disease and now they are testing Herpes treatments.