Am totally somaticising my anxiety

I have near constant aches, pains, tummy problems and fuzzy heads. Have had diarrhoea these last 2 days so ended up phoning my nurse who thought it best not to come see me at my regular appointment.

We both thought it was a bug but now I wonder if it was all ibs/stress.

Not sure what to do about this

Are my physical problems all in my head. In the past they branded folk like me a hysterical and wiped them off

When I had major depression, I had pain in all my body

1 Like

@anon94176359

I don’t believe in mind-body dualism, a belief that the mind and body are separate and distinct. Thus I believe there is only health, so what affects the mind affects the body and vice versa.

Anxiety increases blood pressure, pulse, cortisol and adrenaline. The body cannot be in this state chronically.

So it’s not just “in your head.”

3 Likes

Thanks for the thoughtful explanation @anon17132524. Was respectfully accepted

2 Likes

Thing is I keep cancelling nurse appointments thinking I have infectious sickness bugs. I worry I am testing their patience. I always phone ahead of time.

I think I have an anxious and avoidant personality

I am somatizing since an eternity in fact too… Me too, I am avoidant and anxious…
Lately, I just try out to chill, to be more positive too… The benzos work on my somatics in fact, but I don’t want to take them all the time, yeah…
Yeap, my friends told me to not separate the mind from the body, they are connected I think too :slight_smile: But we can do it, just don’t stress out more than this… You are not alone on the somatics, I was terrible on this for years, but it can get better too :wink: .

1 Like

Maybe you just need some exercise and fresh air, have you drank enough water bc it can be something simple as that, dehydration affects me sometimes, last night i had really bad heartburn/ acid reflux and i hadnt drank enough, i had too much coffee and a mac d’s (not good)

I believe a little exercise and fresh air with enough water really helps keep me healthy.

1 Like

Anxiety especially chronic anxiety is bound to cause some physical problems. My anxiety levels have gone through the roof since the weekend (something external happened) and I’m not really eating now.

Anxiety seems to be your biggest issue so I’d definitely bring it up at your next appointment and see if they have any further ideas.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.