Alteration of perception of time as you get older

This really is a thing. Time really does speed up as you get older. A year and 4 months and I will be 50. It’s hard to believe. I can remember what seems like not too long ago I thought of 50 as being old. In no time I will be 80(If I make it that long).

Time really does fly.

8 Likes

Ugh. I just realized that I will turn 50 this year (not until late November, but still… ), so I know how you feel! My goal is to do something both meaningful (to me) and commercially successful with the remaining time I have. I don’t think that’s too much to ask…

3 Likes

I am unsure if I will see 50.

Pretty big milestone!

Hope you both do something special for that birthday if you can @Pandy & @Bowens

3 Likes

Not sure how true it is. Time definitely seems to be shorter in hindsight. When you are young the quantity of time in hindsight is smaller than when you get older when the quantity is greater. So an increased quantity of time in hindsight increases the perception of rate of time progressing.

2 Likes

I remember a time when a month felt like forever, and now a year is starting to feel like a month used to.

I’m starting to think that a lot of youthful suffering kids go through is really caused by this time dilation in adults vs kids.

I think adults get annoyed with how needy and bored kids get so quickly and then bad things happen. As a kid you remember even just one event for so long.

I hope we get to grips with this problem as a community level awareness.

2 Likes

I just turned 52. Each year seems to go by quicker. Time marches on.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.