Aerobic Exercise and Cognition in People With Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia is associated with impaired cognition, which persists despite current treatments, and is an important determinant of quality of life and overall function. There is limited evidence for the efficacy of pharmacological treatments for this indication. Cognitive remediation therapy is a non-pharmacological intervention associated with improved cognitive functioning in patients who have schizophrenia, with a moderate effect size.

Physical activity can improve symptoms and social functioning in patients with schizophrenia.2 In the general population, exercise has been associated with modest improvements in cognition, but this has not been adequately explored in patients with schizophrenia. Firth and colleagues3 conducted a meta-analysis of the effects of exercise on global cognition in schizophrenia.

Full article:

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/schizophrenia/aerobic-exercise-and-cognition-people-schizophrenia

2 Likes

I walk 2km before starting work and it really helps my cognition and social skills at work. I feel great after my walk, I’m even considering getting off the tram even earlier and walking for longer. Maybe it would be 3km.

4 Likes

What a great idea - slowly increase your distance. Perhaps walk a few extra blocks before you get on the tram in your neighborhood.

2 Likes

Walking has helped me too, on days I’m sore from jogging I do a 2-4mi brisk walk. It really gets the blood flowing in my legs and burns off a few excess calories. I count it in my weekly mileage since I jog so slowly almost a walk.

1 Like

I’m in an aerobic exercise programme from one of the authors of this articles since 3 weeks, have experienced a small improvement of negative symptoms, and will report here after 1 month.

1 Like

Interested how you go and what they are saying from the studies! I have had some great results with exercise and think it’s something win/win for all concerned!