Advice about working a full time job? :D

On Monday I start my first full time job doing clerical work. I chose a temporary position over a year long job because I’m not sure I can handle it yet. Very worried because I have negative symptoms and pills make me lazy. It ends late at night. Really want to work out but if it doesn’t and I know I’ll have to stay home and do nothing again, I might get a little suicidal again… Hoping this job will lead to better positions opening up later and I can get out of this rut… Any experiences people want to share? If this works out I might go back to school in the Summer, but if it doesn’t and I have to stay home… It will be a total disappointment…, sigh

4 Likes

I’m still looking for a job. I wish you the best of luck and hope it leads to better things in the future.

1 Like

good luck! i hope it goes well. i couldn’t handle working full time and being sick but i wasn’t medicated either,

Before I got SSDI I always worked. At least it gives you something to do. I would go crazy staying at home all day. I am currently a student and will graduate in May and then will contemplate going back to work

My medical history is pretty bad and my SSDI review was scheduled for between 5 and 7 years. It’s only been two years so I don’t get reviewed for a while. But I always worked even when I was sicker than I am now. Just went from job to job. A temporary position sounds like just what the doctor ordered.

Good luck

1 Like

To make it work take breaks and decent holidays try not to stress to much. All work and no play makes Jack have a relapse. All a case of a balance of work, rest, play and socializing’s important balance of time with friends, family and making new friends as we all like making friends. Mind you some friends are more like family then your own family so that can cover that area.

2 Likes

The best advice I can give is to find a job where you’re not micromanaged. I’m independent all day (not being watched or overly-supervised) and, even though my job is disgusting (housekeeping), I love it.

Well we are all individuals who are different in what we can accomplish. This is just my opinion but it seems like jumping into a 40 hour week is pretty risky. I seem to remember your screen name but I’m not sure. But anyways, I don’t know what’s going on in your life but maybe you are ready for a full-time job, maybe you’re not. I can’t say.

I’ve worked most of my life(albeit mostly part-time unskilled work like unloading trucks, working in warehouses) but
I eased into working with a series of small steps, so when a job opened up I was prepared for it, mentally and physically.

But lots of things are risky, sometimes we just need to take a chance. I’ve taken many risks but a lot of them were calculated risks in which I tried to stack the deck in my favor.

i went from owning my own business working 100+ hrs a week to being sick and not allowed to work at all, I have been going stark raving mad with nothing to do. SO i started all kinds of projects all over my house, Just started building an outdoor tortoise habitat and water feature in one of my garden beds around the back of the house, also building and finishing building and wiring a full apartment in my basement, next is cabinets, sink, and stove. i have 100 projects all over to try and keep from being bored at all. Idle hands!!

1 Like

What helped me get through clinical at school was frequent bathroom breaks. I’d just sit in the stall for a minute or 2 to regulate my breathing and relax for a spell. No one will question your bathroom time unless they are rude or psycho.

1 Like

I work a demanding responsible job in the security service sector. I cannot go more in detail because nobody at work must find out I have any mi issues in my past. I am doing very good now with no positive symptoms breaking through for 14 years. However I also worked before that time in another job with a lof of problems being sedated from a med I took previously, sleep problems and depressive periods. I managed to work in those days too but I must grant I had a special situation because I was basically able to show up at work at ten am and compensate by working late or on the weekends. After I switched meds working regular business hours was possible for me. So from somebody who has worked most of my time after being diagnosed 18+ years ago, I would advice you to a) make a good attempt and try to be positive b) focus your life around the job, cut out anything that may disrupt a routine life around the job, even if it means giving up such habbits as going to bed late doing stuff you like to do, going out to bars, or clubs during the week, c) getting plenty of sleep at night time to recover from working stress, d) eat well and at regular times and not shortly before bedtime, e) on weekends try to forget the job and spend your time recovering energies and being sociable, f) be on time and show up, do not lightly make excuses for yourself that you should skip work, if you have not slept very well, go to work anyway and catch up sleep later when you get home. I say that because your boss will not tolerate much sick days and being late to work…thats one reason people loose their jobs a lot even though they are actually able to do the job in terms of skills and experience. Having a bad day now and then at work where you are sleepy, not very productive and not at your best is better than missing work too often;

1 Like

“all work and no play makes jack have a relapse” …amazingly accurate and a movie refrence…should be in the sz handbook…high fives or fist bumps whatever one that dances with the varg does…

1 Like