Addicted to medication?

Are you ?

Are we?

Anyone addicted to sleeping tablets?

Are we addicted to anti psychotic since we could get withdrawals if we stop taking them?

3 Likes

Is addicted the same as dependent? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

No I use it everyday for 20 years - what does addiction mean - abuse of it?

I take it to sleep. That’s all.

APs?
We need it, we need the right medication to function.
Addiction isn’t the right word.

1 Like

No. People often ask this because of the withdrawal symptoms linked to abruptly stopping antipsychotics. Keep in mind, the hallmark of addiction is not physical dependence - it’s compulsive use of a substance without regard to consequences. As a result, something can be addictive without causing physical dependence (e.g. cocaine), while antipsychotic discontinuation can lead to withdrawal. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Right addiction is wrong word since it is our medication.

My friend and I have taken medication for over twenty years and imovane for over twenty years.

He takes two tablets.
That’s a lot.
The dr said that’s max.

2 Likes

Definition of addicted

: having an addiction:

a : exhibiting a compulsive, chronic, physiological or psychological need for a habit-forming substance, behavior, or activityaddicted to heroin/alcohol/gamblingaddicted smokers

b : strongly inclined to do, use, or indulge in something repeatedly

Key words indulge. We don’t indulge in our meds ….

2 Likes

I am on the normal max dosage of ambien 10mg

I heard some people take more.

I think if I needed more and more MG - then I would have a problem and need to find a different medication.

1 Like

I am addicted to marijuana and caffeine, beat nicotine…need my meds. not addicted.

1 Like

Not addicted but definitely dependent

2 Likes

I think that addiction is a strong term. I tend to reserve addiction to being dependent on something to the point of not being able to function without it. Hard drugs or alcohol, etc.

1 Like

I wouldnt say addicted but if i go without my meds i have a bad time

2 Likes

Ok :slightly_smiling_face: dependent is a better word for it then.

We can get withdrawals if we just quit I think.

2 Likes

And also likely bad psychotic episodes.

I dont think we are addicted in a way that we crave our meds but our body is reliant on them so withdrawals do happen

2 Likes

Yes most of us are dependent on our meds I’d say

1 Like

I think dependent might mean you feel bad but are still kind of functional. kind of like not having starbucks for a few days.

2 Likes

Without my medication would make me feel a he ll of a lot worse than not having Starbucks for a few days.

It would give me tension, muscle cramps and intense discomfort and more.

I don’t drink coffee out as it’s too expensive but it’s definitely not the same as not having Starbucks.

1 Like

I think I have developed a dependency on every AP I’ve taken.

1 Like

Also it might make me psychotic which is lot worse than no star bucks .:star:

My psychosis is dependent on meds. I quit geodon and seroquel one month ago. I had insomnia for ond month. The only drug I wanted to get rid of was Geodon because it made me manic. For some other reasons I dropped Seroquel. After having analyzed things I came to the conclusion that I needed Seroquel to stay safe. So I’m planning to restart Seroquel Monday. After all I realize that the benefits outweigh the cons.