They never say psych meds are dependency

They sure do say it about alcoholics though,
alcohol-dependency.

I don’t like that word.

2 Likes

With alcohol its different. You need meds to survive but you don’t need alcohol to survive.

yeah, that’s true.

but it’s even tough at the pharmacy telling them I can’t wait 3 days to get my AP refilled. Like they didn’t know that, or something.

1 Like

i cant quit clozapine. First time in my life meds have had a withdraw symptom. Never thought it possible

1 Like

Too often, I don’t get what I want from the medical system.

2 Likes

I’m dependent on my med’s bigtime. What happens when I spend about a week off my med’s is not good.

1 Like

Psych meds cause withdrawals

1 Like

@matthewj Not true. Not all drugs that cause withdrawals are psych meds. Also, not all psych meds cause withdrawals.

Which ones dont

I’ve been hospitalized 15 times and have tried a lot of them. Every time I go off I start dry heaving and can’t concentrate among other things.

I’ve experienced something similar in my travels. Antidepressants are the most nefarious offenders for me. I get this electrical zapping feeling in my spine that is only relieved by contorting suddenly, and it’s always at bedtime. Some folks have called them “brain zaps” and that’s probably close to what I experience.

I’ve never abused benzos (for this reason), so I can’t attest to that.

Coming off AP’s is okay as long as I switch from one directly to the other. Some of the second-gen ones really screw with me, so I take a first-gen med and it works great. Of course, coming off them throws my cheese off my cracker, so there’s that. 0/10. Would not recommend.

Nevermind I’m sure there are psych meds that do not cause withdrawals. I misread your post. I was talking about antipsychotics

1 Like

Yes I was referring to the antipsychotics I’ve taken. It wasn’t like that in the first few years. Lately my body is so used to them that I have withdrawals when I stop taking them.

1 Like

i get withdrawal from meds everytime ive quit. feels so bad physically not adding that mentally i feel bad too

I think Busbar and Trazadone are pretty safe, for example.

Years back, I went off Trilafon (Perphenazine) a number of times. I went as crazy as trying to play basket ball with a hockey stick, but I didn’t see withdrawals anything like when I stopped drinking alcohol.

1 Like

I’m trying to stay out of the mental hospital. I hate being locked up there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.