Add-On Pregnenolone with L-Theanine to Antipsychotic Therapy Relieves Negative and Anxiety Symptoms of Schizophrenia: An 8-Week, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial

http://clinicalschizophrenia.org/doi/10.3371/CSRP.KARA.070415?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub%3Dpubmed&code=wamm-site

“Negative symptoms such as blunted affect, alogia, and anhedonia (SANS) were found to be significantly improved with moderate effect sizes among patients who received PREG-LT, in comparison with the placebo group. Add-on PREG-LT also significantly associated with a reduction of anxiety scores such as anxious mood, tension, and cardiovascular symptoms (HAM-A), and elevation of general functioning (GAF). Positive symptoms, antipsychotic agents, concomitant drugs, and illness duration did not associate significantly with effect of PREG-LT augmentation. PREG-LT was well-tolerated. Conclusions: Pregnenolone with L-theanine augmentation may offer a new therapeutic strategy for treatment of negative and anxiety symptoms in schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder.”

4 Likes

Good find.

The only problem I have is that Pregnenolone is a steroid. I’d be afraid to take it long term.

From webmd (for what it’s worth) :

There isn’t enough information to know if pregnenolone is safe when taken by mouth. It might cause some steroid-like side effects including overstimulation, insomnia, irritability, anger, anxiety, acne, headache, negative mood changes, facial hair growth, hair loss, and irregular heart rhythm.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of pregnenolone during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Hormone-sensitive condition such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids: Pregnenolone is converted by the body to estrogen. If you have any condition that might be made worse by exposure to estrogen, don’t take supplemental pregnenolone.

3 Likes

The stuff sent me insane. I took it about 2 months ago. Never again. Be careful with it as it’s very strong.

1 Like