Accutane and Schizophrenia?

I have quite bad acne and I really want to try accutane, I’ve wanted to go see my doctor about it for a while but I never leave the house and I would be terrified to leave the house without makeup, has anyone been on accutane and how did it affect your schizophrenia?

Change of subject: I had terrible acne for several years.

My family wouldn’t just pay for me to go se someone who might help with my acne.

I was seeing a psychiatrist regularly, and I finally asked him.

He had a friend who was a dermatologist, and soon I was all better!

True, happy story!

3 Likes

I don’t know, but Minocycline (an antibiotic) is supposed to be good for both schizophrenia and acne.

1 Like

There’s a guy called Johnny Benjamin a mental health UK ambassador or something like that… He believes he got psychosis via accutane. I can’t find any written quotes on it but it was in a video of his I think

1 Like

I was given antibiotics for my acne last year and it cleared up. I have to keep taking them though. Also I have tried peroxide which also works. I am going to try coming off both soon because it has seemed to have gone away. If you go see your GP they will probably have better advice than the internet.

1 Like

I was on Accutane when I was 18. It didn’t affect my schizophrenia.

1 Like

*cough “doubt” cough

1 Like

It’s not settled science. Some studies find an effect, and some don’t, but here is a meta analysis of 8 studies and over 500 people.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924977X16320028

This study aimed to conduct a meta-analysis of the efficacy and safety of adjunctive minocycline for schizophrenia. … positive, negative and general symptom scores … revealed a significant superiority of adjunctive minocycline treatment over the placebo. There was no significant difference regarding neurocognitive function, discontinuation rate and adverse drug reactions between the two groups. This meta-analysis showed that adjunctive minocycline appears to be efficacious and safe for schizophrenia. Due to significant heterogeneity, future studies with a large sample size are needed to confirm these findings.

Antibiotics are used for combating bacterial infections aka bacterial viruses which affect the organism.

I don’t know how it would make sz ppl better except maybe the calming effect they have on the body wich give the impression that everything’s is good and nice (the same effect it had on normal ppl)

The abuse of antibiotics will increase the organism resistance to it, meaning that when you really need to take them they would be less effective.

I don’t recommand

1 Like

I was on accutane, and my parents think it made my depression worse. A friend of mine, without schizophrenia, went on accutane and he says it changed his life for the better!

@Slothlover
It is worth it to leave the house without makeup. You can do it! You can make the appointment and talk to your doctor about options.

1 Like

Most cases of acne are caused by bacteria.

A doctor will likely try an antibiotic before Accutane, because it is safer.

Minocycline works on bacterial acne, but its effects for schizophrenia don’t have to do with bacteria.

Minocycline, a second-generation tetracycline that inhibits microglial activation, has been shown to have a neuroprotective effect in various models of neurodegenerative disease, including anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antiapoptotic properties, and an ability to modulate glutamate-induced excitotoxicity.

It’s really quite impressive that all those mechanisms of action are in one medicine.

2 Likes

I was on accurate a few years before I started getting paranoid etc. so it didn’t have any impact that I know of

1 Like

I use topical benzoyl peroxide 5% for acne

1 Like

@anon92220549

Well I thought bacteria, and virus, and yeast were very different types of organisms.

Antibiotics aim at bacteria, and different stuff aim at the other two, that is some stuff attack viruses and some other stuff attack yeasts.

1 Like

Bacterial infection is combated with antibiotics
Viral infections are combated with antipiretics and others stuff

They are
Bateria is a type of virus
Viral in infections are also another type of virus

They are all viruses

Virus is a broad term in general knologe

I may have a language barrier with you.

1 Like

I wish i could take minocycline again i took 50 mg and after 3 days my 15 year old psychosis and depression cleared up, i’m in bad shape please help, im allergic to it but its been 2.5 years since i’ve tried it?

The first time i took it i got mild herxing symptoms, please help! :frowning:

Should I try another anti biotic?

2 Likes

I don’t know what other antibiotics have properties like it, if any. Also if you were sensitive to it, other antibiotics in that class (tetracyclines) might be a problem.

Probably you should ask your doctor if there’s anything else similar.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.