Abilify Out; Rexulti In?

One wonders if Rexulti brexpiprazole is really just a reformulation of Abilify arapirasole from the same company to get around the end of Abilify’s patent life.

See http://www.medpagetoday.com/Psychiatry/Schizophrenia/52568?xid=nl_mpt_DHE_2015-07-14&eun=g439882d0r. Scroll down to paragraph eight next to the graphic. It’s telling. Or at least suggestive.

Dose range to sz will be four to twelve mgs, btw.

1 Like

Yes - likely. That is true for virtually all the follow-on medications in the so called “second generation antipsychotics”. I have seen no evidence they are any better than the previous generation.

1 Like

That’s kind of like invega vs risperdal. Invega did have a highly designed capsule to produce a 24 hour half life in the body. Even when that goes generic it will probably still be an expensive option.

Anyone know the trade name for generic abilify? I heard its slated to go generic but I can’t find any info on when or what it will be called.

Yes - its already generic. We covered it here:

1 Like

And here:

1 Like

I am still debating if I should try Rexulti - I did not do well on Abilify by the way (was actively Hallucinating on Abilify)

Brexpiprazole is supposed to be more of a D2 Antagonist than Abilify ever was - although Brexpiprazole is still a partial Dopamine Agonist just like Abilify - apparantly less akathisia and anxiety than Abilify.

I am going to follow it online for a while before I make the jump to it

A wise decision. I strongly suspect the differences are functionally minimal.

1 Like

That would be hip, for sure. Abilify can tip the apple cart too often. (Those Japanese. Aren’t they amazing?)

1 Like