A new type of drug for schizophrenia could finally be approved in September

“September 26th of this year, [KarXT] will be approved. *I don’t have any doubt about this because the efficacy and tolerability is established,” said Christoph Correll, a psychiatrist and psychopharmacologist at the Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Correll was involved in the [placebo-controlled] that demonstrated KarXT’s safety, tolerability, and efficacy in patients with schizophrenia (5-7). “This is huge. It’s the first time in seven decades, since the discovery of antipsychotics, that we have a different way into the brain to treat schizophrenia,” said Correll, who has consulted for Karuna Therapeutics.”

20 Likes

I wonder what the side effects are…

6 Likes

Wow, it may also work for cognitive deficits. From the article posted above,

“Rather than blocking D2 receptors to lower dopamine levels in the brain, KarXT targets the muscarinic receptors that bind acetylcholine. Of the five muscarinic acetycholine receptors, KarXT targets M1 and M4. Based on studies so far, Miller explained that KarXT’s modulation of the M1 receptor, which boosts acetylcholine signaling, seems to confer cognitive benefits due to M1 receptor expression in the regions of the brain important to learning and memory like the hippocampus and executive function in the prefrontal cortex. On the other hand, Miller said that modulation of the M4 receptors results in the antipsychotic effects because of their expression in brain areas related to perception.”

5 Likes

Also written in the article is that other drugs may come out based on this one very soon.

4 Likes

The ability to get super muscle gains without effort… :smiley:

6 Likes

I mean, if they let our dopamine flow, for us who live pseudo normal with a dopamine blocker it would be amazing.

6 Likes

This should prove very advantageous to those lucky enough to get it. I’m on caplyta and I remember a lot of the same excitement around that drug. Thankfully, Caplyta does help with negative symptoms, but not so much cognitive function, especially when you augment it with a first generation antipsychotic.

If this drug could alleviate cognitive deficiencies, I’ll be very excited to hear about it. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Yeah, because life without any dopamine sucks.

If it allows D2 dopamine production szs will be a lot happier! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The UK will get it after we’re sure it doesn’t harm the Americans

:roll_eyes:

12 Likes

So the dopamine theory was bullcrap after all?

2 Likes

It was just a hypothesis to begin with.

They noticed that no dopamine made us all a lot more passive and manageable as they couldn’t lobotamize us anymore. :wink:

4 Likes

I read the article and it’s kinda exciting. Better cognition and more dopamine!!!

2 Likes

Hopefully with this we won’t have a sledgehammer to the senses

3 Likes

Strange thought some ppl say it’s not a hypothesis, rather a fact…
While IN FACT it’s not known what actually schizophrenia is or what causes it

6 Likes

So if it doesn’t target the d2 receptors, surely that means the dopamine hypothesis was incorrect after all?

If this becomes the 1st line of medicine in future I’m gonna rage at health professionals.

The sluggishness and other bs from Antipsychotics has ruined my life.

It’s no wonder all of us smoke so much.

3 Likes

Okay. I want to try KarXT!

I will ask my psychiatrist about it next week when I see her.

1 Like

How is this AP pronounced? Kar-XT? or Karxt, like one word

4 Likes

Kar-X-T according to ChatGPT

4 Likes

Thank you! I’ll see if my pdoc knows anything about it. Just wanted to make sure I was pronouncing it right lol

2 Likes

Karxt marxt

2 Likes