A meta-analysis of placebo-controlled trials of omega-3 fatty acid augmentation in schizophrenia: Possible stage-specific effects

CONCLUSIONS: The data suggest that omega-3 fatty acids may be efficacious in reducing clinical symptoms for patients in the earlier stages of schizophrenia (prodrome and first episode), while producing mixed results for patients in the chronic stages.

Based on these results, omega-3 fatty acids would not be recommended for acute exacerbations in patients with chronic schizophrenia nor for relapse prevention after discontinuation of antipsychotics.

2 Likes

Oh, thank you for posting. Now I don’t feel so bad that my family member quit taking these since he is far past third episode.

I always like the information that makes me feel better because it’s so hard reading about all that my family member needs, but was never available to him. Plus, he refuses to access resources that are here…

So, for me, this is good news:) And I am not even going to try to figure out whether it is accurate.