A 2013 article says vitamin B12 and Folic Acid (B9) can help treat Negative Symptoms... How come we never talk about this in this forum?

Here’s the article

I’ve been taking B12 and Folic Acid for about a week and a half and I think I’m feeling better. Negative Symptoms have been really bothering me for the past 3 months.

2 Likes

Good find.

But 2mg of folic acid is way over the recommended and possibly safe limit. If you’re taking more than 400ug you should only do so under the supervision of a doctor.

Edit: It also only helps a sub group who have a genetic problem absorbing folic acid.

2 Likes

Do it affect cognition?

Sorry to say @Yellowdiamond but No. B12 and Folic Acid were not recommended to treat cognitive symptoms.

1 Like

@Unclehenry if you’re not on abilify then you could try a supplement called NAC. That’s supposed to help with negatives.

I tried it and it interacted in a pretty bad way with abilify.

It’s super hard to deal with negative symptoms. It’s a symptom of SZ that is made only worse by anti-psychotics.

The only things that help negative symptoms are anti depressants and stimulants.

Anti depressants because they release serotonin and make you happy, therefore motivated to do stuff.

Stimulants because they give you a temporary boost of energy.

Nothing else will help, trust me.

@Mr.Dre @everhopeful I am sure u know about Yokukansan . It was posted couple of years ago…

How useful Yokukansan is…??

its a chinese and japanese herb…
Or its just a placebo…!!

2 Likes

Never heard about that herb @far_cry0.