11 Things People With Schizophrenia Wish Others Understood

Want to add your own?

11 Likes

Youā€™re awesome Minnii. :wink: Keep sharing these stories and the positive messages! I love them.

4 Likes

Thank you Tree :blush: A big hug to you :heart:

1 Like

Thereā€™s some good oneā€™s in there but I strongly disagree with the one saying not to joke about it. Man if I couldnā€™t make jokes with friends about the whole situation it would have been so much tougher. I also admire and appreciate this about other people dealing with other kinds of suffering, that they can joke as a way of coping.

2 Likes

Completely agree. Iā€™m glad I can laugh about it.

1 Like

12 Give me the acceptance and understanding as you would give to e.g. a blind person. I may have some shortcomings but with a proper support I am no different to anybody elseā€¦

2 Likes
  1. Have you ever seen a floating black ball rise from beneath you and move above you then everything you heard someone say is a personal insult similar to what people say right before a fist fight? You couldnā€™t even begin to understand how terrifying that is or how nice I try to be despite it. So please donā€™t label me a serial killer, because everyone in my world is a killer. You have no idea what a killer is.
3 Likes
  1. Youā€™re probably not as perfectly sane/rational as you think you are, Mr/Ms Neurotypical, so be careful not to dig your own hole while judging others.
1 Like

I have no problems that a big ass piece of chocolate and a billion dollars canā€™t fix.

Pix.

2 Likes

ā€œPlease donā€™t assume Iā€™m dangerous. Sometimeā€™s Iā€™m scared and want to be left alone. Sometimes I want to be with people. However, I would never harm anyone intentionally. I am not a threat to your life or your family. I am not a danger.ā€ -Sharp

6 Likes

Well let me just open my wallet here anndā€¦

ā€¦and here it is

I think the basic life lesson that I long ago learned is that ā€œyou never knowā€ meaning I met enough people and realized enough times that things arenā€™t always as they seem to just make the assumption up front that they probably arenā€™t what they seem. I feel like if more people met the world with this mindset this world might be a better place to live.

Unfortunately the opposite seems to happen, too many people at this point in life, probably older than I was when I came to my conclusion, reach a point where theyā€™ve made up their minds that their minds are made up, youā€™ve basically either defined everything or let it be defined for you. I see this as unfortunate.

3 Likes

I would say that Iā€™ve been struggling alone for so many years, and my strength and determination rivals a cancer survivorā€™s. But thereā€™s no run for the cure or 5k or telethon or ribbon that everyone will wear or cute logo or heartwarming storyā€¦thereā€™s just me, alone, with millions of others, fighting each day to survive.

4 Likes

ā€œDonā€™t judge me because you canā€™t see my disease.ā€ That is something a former member of our Group said. He has since moved away, but that was the first thing he said to me when I first came in and didnā€™t want to talk. After that I started talking and couldnā€™t stop until everything was out.

But as for something I would say?

ā€œWhat is wrong with me canā€™t be ā€˜curedā€™ only lessened. Even a cancer patient has the hope that one day they will be free of their disease, I donā€™t have that hope.ā€

3 Likes