Schizophrenia.com

11 Things People With Schizophrenia Wish Others Understood

Want to add your own?

11 Likes

You’re awesome Minnii. :wink: Keep sharing these stories and the positive messages! I love them.

4 Likes

Thank you Tree :blush: A big hug to you :heart:

1 Like

There’s some good one’s in there but I strongly disagree with the one saying not to joke about it. Man if I couldn’t make jokes with friends about the whole situation it would have been so much tougher. I also admire and appreciate this about other people dealing with other kinds of suffering, that they can joke as a way of coping.

2 Likes

Completely agree. I’m glad I can laugh about it.

1 Like

12 Give me the acceptance and understanding as you would give to e.g. a blind person. I may have some shortcomings but with a proper support I am no different to anybody else…

2 Likes
  1. Have you ever seen a floating black ball rise from beneath you and move above you then everything you heard someone say is a personal insult similar to what people say right before a fist fight? You couldn’t even begin to understand how terrifying that is or how nice I try to be despite it. So please don’t label me a serial killer, because everyone in my world is a killer. You have no idea what a killer is.
3 Likes
  1. You’re probably not as perfectly sane/rational as you think you are, Mr/Ms Neurotypical, so be careful not to dig your own hole while judging others.
1 Like

I have no problems that a big ass piece of chocolate and a billion dollars can’t fix.

Pix.

2 Likes

“Please don’t assume I’m dangerous. Sometime’s I’m scared and want to be left alone. Sometimes I want to be with people. However, I would never harm anyone intentionally. I am not a threat to your life or your family. I am not a danger.” -Sharp

6 Likes

Well let me just open my wallet here annd…

…and here it is

I think the basic life lesson that I long ago learned is that “you never know” meaning I met enough people and realized enough times that things aren’t always as they seem to just make the assumption up front that they probably aren’t what they seem. I feel like if more people met the world with this mindset this world might be a better place to live.

Unfortunately the opposite seems to happen, too many people at this point in life, probably older than I was when I came to my conclusion, reach a point where they’ve made up their minds that their minds are made up, you’ve basically either defined everything or let it be defined for you. I see this as unfortunate.

3 Likes

I would say that I’ve been struggling alone for so many years, and my strength and determination rivals a cancer survivor’s. But there’s no run for the cure or 5k or telethon or ribbon that everyone will wear or cute logo or heartwarming story…there’s just me, alone, with millions of others, fighting each day to survive.

4 Likes

“Don’t judge me because you can’t see my disease.” That is something a former member of our Group said. He has since moved away, but that was the first thing he said to me when I first came in and didn’t want to talk. After that I started talking and couldn’t stop until everything was out.

But as for something I would say?

“What is wrong with me can’t be ‘cured’ only lessened. Even a cancer patient has the hope that one day they will be free of their disease, I don’t have that hope.”

3 Likes