Surveillance: In Theory

TRIGGER WARNING.
Click away if you’re prone to delusions of persecution.
People report that they can vaguely sense when they’re being watched. That being that case, could putting someone under 24/7 surveillance (intense scrutinization) be utilized as some form of torture?

This question doesn’t pertain to a current delusion, it pertains to the novel that I’m working on. Inspired by a former delusion, of course.

I don’t know about surveillance being torture, but the laws protecting privacy are taken very seriously in the U.S., and probably in other civilized countries too. It’s scary to think how much surveillance modern technology makes possible.

We don’t even know the half of it, I’d imagine.

1 Like

Lol. I support using writing as a form of getting over your delusions… It’s just funny. I’ve never seen a trigger warning. I wonder if it will fly.

I’d say so, if the person isn’t comfortable in social situations, nothing like scratching the crack of yer ass then realizing, oh. wonder how many people saw that?
Or randomly finding a finger up your nose then thinking…ewwwwwww nasty!

Privacy isn’t just for those doing something illegal, immoral, or fattening…No one should have to experience the displeasure of knowing everything you do is going to be seen/heard by someone else, and quite frankly, what kind of sick dick head needs to know all this stuff?
I will guess that it’s usually someone who believes they are above everyone else, and what they do to others, they wont allow it to be done to them.

The important question isn’t who is watching us, but who is watching the watchers.

1 Like

Lived feeling that way and it is torture, I got rid of everything electrical in my house and it cost me a lot, lived in the dark for a couple of years, the torture is endless. What I did when felling better but still ill, I gave in and got angry, I put camera.s up myself and figured if they want to watch let them, if they see something “they” don’t like, they are the one with issues not me
I don’t know it “they” are watching now or if “they” ever did, but even though the thought is always there, I can live with it now.

2 Likes

I was once so closely watched and listened that when I made a comment in my private property in America that I wanted to go to Guatemala, it took a minute or two when a woman called my number and said that her husband had been killed in Guatemala, that was the real surveillance.

1 Like

good luck with your novel.

That almost seems foreboding.

I would think so. For me feeling like I’m being watched almost constantly when I’m off my medicine is somewhat touture. To make it worse I feel like people can read my mind and I know my voices can because they tell me they can and they comment on my thoughts so I feel like I have no privacy. The medicine makes most of my paranoia go away though.

In my case this surveillance in America went so far that when I posted a message on the usenet using my childhood nickname without identifying myself, I got almost immediately a call to my private number and they left a message using my nickname … it was actually terrible.

It is actually funny, when I knew that my private property was listened all the time, I stopped talking there but I wrote my private thoughts on my paper intelligence notebooks, they were not able to read on the computer screen because these were on paper, I wrote these notes 10 years and I have 31 notebooks.

I have lived under strict surveillance, before. It is indeed torture!
I think surveillance is just a part of life now, sadly, with all the technology we have. It’s just difficult when you don’t feel safe in your own home.

4 Likes