Society's Present Point of View

What do people here think of the present point of view of society toward the mentally ill, the treatments offered, and the general level of understanding of our illness?

1 Like

Honestly, Growing up in far far away, I had no clue what it was, even though my mom is bipolar.
I just experienced some hardship growing up and weird stuff.

I got ill around 22 - and took me a while to realize what it was. My main problem is people have no clue what it is.
They do not understand the trauma that comes with it when you are completely out of touch and come back to reality.

My friends say, it is very simple, at least you know what it is, so you can treat it. Everybody is mentally ill.

Other friends think I am quirky. Here in Canada, we have a very good support system and I got good understanding and education only after having it happen to me. However, it is still considered something horrible in society, like an outcast, because of the violence associated with it.

Mental illness is something difficult to understand unless it happens to you. IMO

And unfortunately it is also a very weak point for bullying mentally ill people. Which is horrible. people think paranoia is funny, it is pathetic.

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen in real life and the media, people are still scared of us or look down on us. There has been a slight momentum shift though as more people are talking about all mental health issues in a more caring way but sz is at the back of the pack I think.

6 Likes

Hi there!

I think it is pretty good in Sweden and Australia.
There is hospital care with nice food,drink and room and no private health care is needed.
So even poor people get help.

There was a hatred and coldness towards mentally ill who do not work.
A lack of understanding.

Maybe this is because some people were said to have not been sick but that should not go out on those who are and some things can’t be noticed to people.

In Sweden I think one of my drs over medicated me.

In Australia was better just giving me one anti psychotic and sleep tablet if needed.

I think restraints can be scary and may feel claustrophobic.
One is usually scared enough as it is when psychotic.
This said staff and other patients safety are also important to protect.
If a patient is being violent action should be taken but sometimes I think people who are not violent are restrained.

why put a hood over someone’s head…
It’s not happened to me but I read about it in news.

Some people like to blame schizo people or sick people.
They need some one to lay there shot on n if it ain’t witches or golly …

I think other schizophrenic people sometimes blame another schizophrenic that they are jealous of or who they do not think is as physically productive as they are or who don’t work or have a job or are on pension etc

I think people who do not work have rights to respect, love, kindness , health care etc as well.

I am against hate attacking them.

I appreciate the health care we have and I actually think even sick people who don’t work can contribute to society n community by just existing .

I have difficulties going out .its a big deal.
But more so being around people.

I need to be alone and rest a lot.

people may not understand that.

Things could probably be better around the world for mentally ill or schizophrenic people.

This site is really good .:heart:

3 Likes

IN what I call the TV world they are caring and understanding, In the real world not so much

a lot don’t want too know and don’t care

1 Like

The less people know about me the better. The less to criticize.

2 Likes

People don’t want to understand because they’re too afraid. As far as treatment, it’s not too good here in rural America. This is technically a city (that’s what it says on the sign)
It’s a little hard to get care here. At the place I go to a lot of the full psychiatrists get too many patients.
I was seeing a Nurse Practitioner for a long time.

I kind of wonder if I’m being discriminated against in housing as I’ve been number 67 on the wait list for the nicest low income housing here for 10 months.
It could just be normal, I don’t know.

The treatments have been largely ineffective.

1 Like

Mom, can I move my bedroom up into the attic since I’m a teenager now, I really want my own room.
No. No you can’t, your crazy aunt from your dad’s side lives up there.
oh, ok.