Schizophrenia is eight different diseases, not one

New research shows that schizophrenia is not a single disease, but a group of eight distinct disorders, each caused by changes in clusters of genes that lead to different sets of symptoms.

The finding sets the stage for scientists to develop better ways to diagnose and treat schizophrenia, a mental illness that can be devastating when not adequately managed, says C. Robert Cloninger, co-author of the study published today in the American Journal of Psychiatry.

“We are really opening a new era of psychiatric diagnosis,” says Cloninger, professor of psychiatry and genetics at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. Cloninger says he hopes his work will “allow for the development of a personalized diagnosis, opening the door to treating the cause, rather than just the symptoms, of schizophrenia.”

Clonginger and colleagues found that certain genetic profiles matched particular symptoms. While people with one genetic cluster have odd and disorganized speech – what is sometimes called “word salad” – people with another genetic profile hear voices, according to the study, funded by the National Institutes of Health.

Some genetic clusters gave people higher risks of the disease than others, according to the study, which compared the DNA of 4,200 people with schizophrenia to that of 3,800 healthy people.

One set of genetic changes, for example, confers a 95% chance of developing schizophrenia. In the new study, researchers describe a woman with this genetic profile who developed signs of the disorder by age 5, when she taped over the mouths of her dolls to make them stop whispering to her and calling her name. Another patient – whose genetic profile gave her a 71% risk of schizophrenia – experienced a more typical disease course and began hearing voices at age 17.

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleid=1906049

11 Likes

Sounds like they are getting closer. I didn’t read what eight different disorders they’ve found.

1 Like

Researchers then divided patients according to the type and severity of their symptoms, such as different types of hallucinations or delusions, and other symptoms, such as lack of initiative, problems organising thoughts or a lack of connection between emotions and thoughts. The results indicated that those symptom profiles describe eight qualitatively distinct disorders based on underlying genetic conditions.

http://www.thehealthsite.com/news/schizophrenia-not-a-disease-its-eight-genetically-distinct-disorders/

4 Likes

That’s interesting. Eight distinct orders.

Techincally there are just different types of schizophrenia,I have paranoid psychosis,schizophrenia of what i don’t know which type the doctor just labeled it as schizophrenia,anxiety disorder and depression.

There are times when I feel like I have 8 different things wrong with me.

This is very interesting. Thank you for posting.

3 Likes

I probably have just half but bad cases of them- so does my friend from schoool, he and I appear normal and function normally but experience things in our heads that are totally not normal at all.

Wow. Thankyou so much for posting this. If sz is uncovered, it will be the day I celebrate like never before!

does that mean I at8 the schizophrenia

Thats a pretty big step forward. I have always thought schizophrenia needs to be broken down and they are even doing the genetic work as well. This could be huge down the road. I wonder which genes I have or if I dont really have schizophrenia and this is still just drug induced psychosis. I feel for me it really is a cognitive issue except for the voices. No one can explain those still. I think if I had never thought about telepathy I wouldn’t be in this mess.

2 Likes

Very interesting. I am just wondering if I carry not all 8 diseases but may be a few or a couple? and the majority are genes connected with bipolar disorder - I dont know, hopefully the information they have will get more detailed and specific soon - this could mean changes on how these mental illnesses are diagnosed

1 Like

Here’s another summary article.

1 Like

Heres some audio

I don’t know what type I have I think it might be paranoid not sure though

I stood there horrified during my first psychosis.

After seeing an alien and i began looking at the clocks at the same times over and over again i knew i was not ill when the mental health team showed up, it was rediculous and put a very strange spin on it having a medical team show up.

As the smell of sulfur filled the air and they began telling me that my family was in great danger if i didn’t do anything about it i froze in terror. After not doing anything they began to torment me and blame me for my family being harmed because i didn’t do anything, i didn’t know what to do at all. They just wanted to hurt me.

A month straight it went on, no sleep, all abuse and fear, i was maimed and am still being maimed.

They have also physically harmed me twice while appearing visually.

This is all ■■■■■■■■. All of it. This stupid evil ■■■■ is not a disease and there is no genetic testing that can be done. Here is what can be done though scientifically, and ill make this clear.

Scientifically all that you can do is study “them” in my head killing me in whatever way they want to. And if there are common genetics involved in this little ailment then id start asking why these people may be targeted for it.

seriously this ■■■■ gets more and more frightening the more they make scientific discoveries about it. If there are goddamn genetics involved then we may have our answers as to why they do it. What are the genetics in these people and what types do these genetics create?

seriously if they want the answers as to the cause of this they need to ask why “they” would do it to these people. Thats all that one must ask really. Do they do it to specific types at specific times? I really really hope there aren’t common genetics in us because of what that would mean.

2 Likes

I haven’t been keeping up with the news but didn’t they lump all of schizophrenia into one disorder in the upcoming DSM-V? I wonder if they’ll have to break it up again if this research catches on.

1 Like

Schizophrenia subtypes

Schizophrenia subtypes have been dumped in the DSM-5 because of their “limited diagnostic stability, low reliability, and poor validity,” according to the APA. (The old DSM-IV had specified the following schizophrenia subtypes: paranoid, disorganized, catatonic, undifferentiated, and residual type.)

The APA also justified the removal of schizophrenia subtypes from the DSM-5 because they didn’t appear to help with providing better targeted treatment, or predicting treatment response.

The APA proposes that clinicians instead use a “dimensional approach to rating severity for the core symptoms of schizophrenia is included in Section III to capture the important heterogeneity in symptom type and severity expressed across individuals with psychotic disorders.” Section III is the new section in the DSM-5 that includes assessments, as well as diagnoses needing further research.

This seems about right to me. Very credible. Let’s hope it leads to better treatments and soon.

2 Likes

thanks for this insightful thread!!

If your into David Ickes whole deal with our genetic program being the core of our soul perhaps these genetic qualities make us stand out to these beings as carriers of something potentially good. That is as much of a delusion I would create around this. It makes us sensitive to their presence and influence on this world through our minds. Wait another delusion what if they are doing this to everyone just in less invasive ways. I want to believe you pans but my experiences are different. I don’t know where the voices come from but they definitely have an agenda for me now that I’m commuting to it they are starting to leave me alone. They do seem more coordinated then a brain error esp when they all start acting up.

1 Like