Oral Invega - Libido

For anyone that has been on oral Invega, did it affect your libido?

My son was on Invega Sustenna and other then not like getting injections, I think he refused it as it killed his libido. Now he is on oral Invega however I’m thinking about asking for the dose to be upped from 6 mg but I don’t want to risk him becoming non-compliant if a higher dose will cause this.

I took Invega oral type for 3 months,it gives me Sexual problem,it was my first antipsychotic,I was 19 at that time,I was still very sexual daily but it gives sexual side effect,not sure about libido

1 Like

I had oral Invega 9mg each day two years ago. It did reduced my sex drive a lot. But if the dose is lower than 6mg, I think it is not a big problem. I noticed that Zyprex is much better in sexual dysfunction if you want more information.

1 Like

I was on Invega - it raises prolactin which messes with your libido - just like Risperdal, they are basically identical, when it comes to side effects - but it is usually a very effective med.
Risperdal is killing my libido, but I am sticking with it for now, because I have decided that my sanity is more important than my libido. There is no perfect drug

3 Likes

Im on 6mg of invega. It killed my libido, its basically nonexistent.

1 Like

Risperidal never had that effect on him although he was on a low dose 1 mg with the Clozapine so that is probably why. The Invega… not so lucky lol.

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Perhaps I will see if I can get him back on the Olanzapine/Zyprexa for a bit as it does help and it doesn’t look like just 6 mg of Invega is going to get/keep him stable. It seems to take two AP’s :frowning:

That is great @BarbieBF - Zyprexa does not have the tendency to raise prolactin so much, so it is usually better for libido.
Good luck with everything!
Adding a low dose of Abilify to prolactin inducing drugs like Invega or Risperdal can lower prolactin levels, and therefore could possibly improve libido - it is worth asking the psychiatrist

1 Like

Yes. Especially at 6 mg daily dose. I only took an oral dose.

1 Like

Zyprexa worked well for my son. Hoping to get him started on a low dose. It does cause weight gain.

1 Like