My 14-year battle to study with a complex mental health issue

7 Likes

Great article. Thanks.

A PhD its a bit to much to ask for an illness like schiz. I don’t know anyone but myself who’s aiming for greatness.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I would love to go for my phd someday. Unfortunately I am not even sure I will make it into nursing school. My gpa at my old school wasn’t bad, it was a 3.4. But when I transferred to my new school not all the classes were accepted and my gpa dropped to a 3.0. I’m doing ok in my classes now but not really doing well enough to raise that gpa any. Furthermore due to my state’s laws about people with psychotic illnesses being allowed to just take the test to qualify to be a nurse, I have no idea how I’m going to get that done, if I have to go to another state to practice or get my license or what. The future seems really complicated and scary.

1 Like

Do you need a certain GPA for your nursing school? That’s already such a high one you have! I believe you can do it with perserverance and determination. You seem very intelligent and motivated. My gpa freshman year of college was so low because that’s when my schizophrenia peaked. I don’t think I plan on going back to college but who knows what the future hold for us

The gpa requirement isn’t that high but a lot of people have said it’s competitive so I don’t know :disappointed: My gpa has fluctuated widely through college depending on when I was having episodes and failing courses vs when I was well again and retaking them. I ended up graduating a semester late due to this but whatever I’m still proud I got through it.

1 Like

That’s so cool you got through it though like you said dang you should be super proud. It might be competitive but that’s the way a lot of industries are I guess. I felt like a failure for a while feeling like my mental illness prevented me from completing my first year of college but I’m proud I even went. At least I tried. I’m now going to a cosmetology school which is also a struggle for me because I suck at waking up early and going to school. I don’t want to fail at this too though. We gotta get through it though! Never give up

1 Like

I thought this was YOUR battle to study. :smile: