Multiple Antipsychotics?

If your positive symptoms(delusions) are well controlled on a single antipsychotic med but you still have cognitive issues, is it a good idea to add another antipsychotic like latuda(lurasidone) just so that it might improve your cognitive symptoms ?

My voices are well controlled on one antipsychotic (amisulpride) but I need another antipsychotic (olanzapine) to help with the depression. The two combined work well. I don’t know what antipsychotic will help with cognitive symptoms, though!

1 Like

I’d be afraid of doubling the side effects/risks , If one works (more or less).

I’m on risperdal and latuda. I was told latuda would help with negative symptoms. I was on just latuda before and it didn’t feel like I was on anything (kind of like a sugar pill or something). It didn’t feel like an anti-psychotic which was nice. I think latuda mitigates some of risperdal’s effects. Only problem was latuda didn’t do much for my paranoia and that’s why I’m on risperdal too. I definitely feel that risperdal is stronger and I think it’s much better for managing positive symptoms, even though latuda is an anti-psychotic, and that I was on a high dose (still am).

I don’t feel smarter on latuda. Maybe it works on negative symptoms but it’s hard to tell because risperdal worsens my negative symptoms so I don’t feel much effect.

I’m on Seroquel and Latuda.

The Seroquel keeps the head circus away
The latuda helps with the negative symptoms…

Yes. Latuda is what we consumers (the only people who really know what these drugs do) call an activating drug. It’s commonly used to improve negative symptoms and contain psychosis, but mostly I have seen it as an adjunct with sedating meds like Seroquel. Zyprexa. Nasty ■■■■.

It’s best to avoid Zyprexa. That ■■■■ is ■■■■.

Latuda did not sedate me at all and I was worse off than ever on it, it didn’t work and it caused terrible akathisia. I was also hallucinating like hell. It found itself in the trash. Now I need a little sedation, and Geodon, propranolol and Xanax does that for me. I have the asocial madman psycho killer smart little ■■■■ subtype of chronic paranoid schizophrenia. It needs handfuls of downers.

Zyprexa is commonly used as an adjunct, don’t let them do that ■■■■, Zyprexa means fat and sleepy and even diabetic in some cases. And sexual dysfunction. Abilify is a better adjunct med. They named it Abilify because it abilifies you, gives you abilities. But in some cases Abilify doesn’t work and instead makes you crazier. It’s a dopamine agonist. It’s a long story full of words that you wouldn’t understand.

Don’t take ■■■■■■ Zyprexa.

Geodon, Abilify, latuda, seroquel, hell even Haldol and clozapine are better.

I have yet to hear a good story about Zyprexa that doesn’t involve gaining at least 15lbs on a very restricted diet.

I would say this might be true for me or at best risperdal is effect neutral in tackling things like lack of drive and motivation.

I gained 60 lbs on zyprexa.

Exactly…It’s shitty…don’t comply with that unless you are acutely ill and need it for like two weeks.

If you just got banned, that means you should ■■■■ off and not post random crap in serious conversations on a new account. I can tell you’re snowy owl.

I am suffering terrible OCD symptoms - lots of agitated anxiety/paranoia.

I was offered the option of either taking Abilify or Zyprexa as an add on (adjunct) medication, to take alongside my Risperdal.

For me it was a no brainer, I quickly decided on the low dose Zyprexa - Abilify would have worsened or created psychosis for me - its a very activating med that would worsen the picture, easily.

I chose Zyprexa because its what I need right now, more tranquilizing and less activation.

Through a strict low carb diet and exercise, I might be able to avoid the weight gain and spikes in blood sugar.

Zyprexa is at least a tried and true Antipsychotic - doing well in all kinds of studies, you can’t really say that about Abilify.

Yeah zyprexa does have a very sedating effect, if that is what you’re looking for. It and geodon and Xanax together put me to sleep in like an hour.

I’m sure you can find a diet and exercise regiment that can offset and minimalize the weight gain, it’s not impossible.

And good thing you’re aware of how fishy abilify is. I have a general understanding of how it works- it’s a dopamine agonist which hopefully causes down regulation of dopamine receptors. But they also use it for depression to do the opposite?!

Throw it in toilet, do not trust. Do flush.

1 Like