'Loosening' of the train of thoughts

I’m noticing some changes in my train of thoughts: from an ordered, controllable, topic/goal oriented train to a mix of short thoughts unrelated to one another that come and go as they please. Does anyone relate?

2 Likes

Yep, I have problems keeping a train of thought when I’m manic, depressed or psychotic, any of the above can disturb my thought patterns. Right now I’m feeling pretty low and lots of unconnected negative thoughts are flitting in an out of my head, it’s not in my control, bits of this and that, I find fighting them impossible, I just have to let it happen and wait for it to go away, being distracted by something helps, but as soon as I’m not doing anything the thoughts take over.

yeh i can relate, i have it a lot of the time, racing/intrusive thoughts. it makes it very difficult to focus and think about a particular subject because of all the distracting thoughts which come and go. btw i don’t know if you’ve heard this but in the distant past it was one of the ways they referred to people with a mental illness - ‘distracted.’