Long QT Syndrome / Prolonged QTc

So you know that thing they put on the warning labels, it’s very very rare, called “Prolonged QTc Interval” or “Long QT Syndrome”? Well that’s something that can kill you, like real quick with no warning. And many APs can cause this problem.

Evidently I’m taking THREE drugs that can cause prolonged QTc: Lithium, Abilify, and Seroquel. Should I be worried? Should I get an EKG to be sure I’m OK? I’m really worried about this now. I had some dizzy spells last week before I found this out and dizzy spells can be a sign that something’s wrong. HELP!!!

@Sooner88

This link is complicated unless you have a medical background, but it seems to indicate that medications associated with Long QT Syndrome increases heart complications by 13% (if I’m reading it correctly):

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa022147#t=article

I have a rare heart condition where the median age of death is 40. I’m 48. I’ve been on a fair number of APs with cardiac indications over the years and I’m still here. The issue I’m currently dealing with has nothing to do with AP usage, just what happens as someone with my type of heart problem ages, and I’ve got lots of years left if I do what I’m told.

:blush:

3 Likes

Abilify is supposed to be good in that regards. But getting the test would be appropriate, like get it along with your blood tests.

1 Like

You should absolutely get an EKG if you’re on meds that can cause prolonged QT syndrome. But if you don’t develop it in the beginning, you’re unlikely to ever develop it. It is basically a birth defect that can be exacerbated by the meds. If you don’t have the defect, you can’t develop it.

I’m not sure that’s accurate. I’ve never heard that before anyway. But it would be great if it were true.

That’s what my doctor told me.

1 Like

@Sooner88 I wouldn’t worry to much but definitely talk with your pdoc or GP about your concerns and request an EKG.

Even if the EKG shows everything’s fine, it’s nice to have a baseline EKG that can be compared against in the future.

2 Likes

Are you aware of any APs that do NOT cause long QT?

All APs have that risk when mixed with all antidepressants, as far as I know.

No one mentioned antidepressants. I’m asking about APs on their own. Are there any APs that don’t cause prolonged QTc? If not, WHY THE HELL?!?! Do these people not realize that they’re giving us pills that will ■■■■■■■ KILL US?!?!?!

Abilify is usually pretty low risk when it comes to developing cardiac issues.
It’s a good idea to get an EKG done as part of a comprehensive check up but I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

2 Likes

Yeah but I’m taking Seroquel and Lithium and those can cause QTc prolongation. And I looked through my old EKG records from when I was on Haldol, and I had long QT then but nobody told me about it. It causes sudden death why the hell would they not tell me? How can I not panic when I might be literally poisoning myself every time I pop a pill? Damn I need some Xanax and I think I’m gonna stop taking my Seroquel and Lithium too

@Sooner88. Please consult your pdoc before making any changes to you meds. And calm down!

2 Likes

I’m gonna take 3 Xanax and take a nap

Is it safe to take it like that?

lol Yeah, for me since I know what I’m doing. If I take 3 Xanax that equals 1.5mg. I used to take 2mg 3 times a day, so 1.5 is nothing. It’ll help me relax though. My rx is for 3 tablets a day, doesn’t say I can’t take them all at once!

But what if you need more later in the day?

2 Likes

I know with other meds if you have two doses it is supposed to be 12 hours apart

You have to take your meds to survive suicide so you can die of a heart attack at a ripe old age.

Seriously one ekg a year is good enough to monitor your heart. Any problems will show up.

1 Like